Screaming helplessly at the sky

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3528
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby Mountaineer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Image
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. Left untreated, the itching ears syndrome is spiritually fatal.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:48 pm

sophie wrote:I do worry about the millennials though. In general and on many topics (e.g. diversity, gender identity) they've been thoroughly brainwashed. Even more concerning, they've been trained to the hilt to be good consumers and corporate citizens.


Well, it is in the nature of young people to rebel against the status quo. It just seems grossly unfair to me that the previous generation's rebellion led to a bunch of wanton fucking and drug use, and "ours" is so lame.
Michellebell
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby Michellebell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:45 am

omg

I thought this article would be appropriate for this thread.
https://www.hermancain.com/liberals-pla ... p-hotel-in

The lunacy of these people is starting to show no limit.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4332
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby technovelist » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 am

Michellebell wrote:omg

I thought this article would be appropriate for this thread.
https://www.hermancain.com/liberals-pla ... p-hotel-in

The lunacy of these people is starting to show no limit.


Just "starting"? Are you new to this planet? ;)
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7785
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby moda0306 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am

And in actual news...

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/13/daz ... ing-spree/

Trump’s failure to criticize the widespread executions in the Philippines was not a surprise, given that a leaked transcript of a phone call between the two men in April showed that the American president said that he was calling his counterpart “to congratulate you, because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem.”
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby stuper1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm

moda0306 wrote:And in actual news...

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/13/daz ... ing-spree/

Trump’s failure to criticize the widespread executions in the Philippines was not a surprise, given that a leaked transcript of a phone call between the two men in April showed that the American president said that he was calling his counterpart “to congratulate you, because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem.”


See ... this is just another example of the media dog-piling onto Trump. Who really gives a rip how the Philippines deals with their criminals? That's their problem. Is it really our job to tell them how to do it? But the media would have us believe that Trump is a monster, because he hasn't unfriended Duterte from his Facebook account. To me, it's pretty simple. If you don't want to get executed in the Philippines, then don't get involved in drug dealing.
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7785
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby moda0306 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:28 pm

stuper1 wrote:
moda0306 wrote:And in actual news...

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/13/daz ... ing-spree/

Trump’s failure to criticize the widespread executions in the Philippines was not a surprise, given that a leaked transcript of a phone call between the two men in April showed that the American president said that he was calling his counterpart “to congratulate you, because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem.”


See... this is just another example of the media dog-piling onto Trump. Who really gives a rip how the Philippines deals with their criminals? That's their problem. Is it really our job to tell them how to do it? But the media would have us believe that Trump is a monster, because he hasn't unfriended Duterte from his Facebook account. To me, it's pretty simple. If you don't want to get executed in the Philippines, then don't get involved in drug dealing.


At the very least, apparently Trump "gives a rip." He called the guy to congratulate him on his extra-judicial killings. I didn't see anything about not unfriending him on Facebook. ??? But what else would we expect from someone who bragged about the war-crimes he would commit while in office.

I think who our government chooses to ally itself with is of utmost importance. I also think it's important to identify when Trump is idolizing certain types of foreign leaders.

I don't expect everyone else to have that priority. However, I don't think it's unreasonable for a journalist to highlight these things for those that do. And I would certainly want Hillary's dirty ties (Kissinger, Mubarak, etc) if she were President. This is exactly the type of stuff "the media" should be highlighting, IMO. Many who aren't would be alive today if the American people paid more attention to the despots we've allied ourselves with and why. If anything, there's a dearth of this type of reporting that goes on. This is why Bush II can come on TV and talk about the horrible crimes Saddam committed and have 2/3 of the country support going to war not realizing it was under his dad's watch and support that they were committed.
Michellebell
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

Postby Michellebell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm

    moda0306 wrote:And in actual news...

    https://theintercept.com/2017/11/13/daz ... ing-spree/

    Trump’s failure to criticize the widespread executions in the Philippines was not a surprise, given that a leaked transcript of a phone call between the two men in April showed that the American president said that he was calling his counterpart “to congratulate you, because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem.”


    I don't consider that article "actual news." Here's why. Look at this exerpt:

    "Still basking in the glow of his reception at the ASEAN gala dinner in Manila on Sunday, where he wore a Barong Tagalog, an embroidered shirt worn at formal events in the Philippines, and was greeted on a red carpet by Duterte, with whom he later shared a toast. Trump told the traveling press that the welcome was “red-carpet like I think probably nobody has ever received.”

    Such an elaborate greeting showed, Trump said, “a sense of respect, perhaps for me a little bit, but really for our country, and I’m very proud of that.”

    Trump neglected to mention that every other world leader who attended the summit received the exact same red-carpet welcome from the Philippine president."

    The article could have simply said that Trump was grateful for the type of welcome and respect he had been shown on his visit. Even if other world leaders were also treated with respect, I don't see anything wrong with him commenting about how appreciative he was about it. If he hadn't been so thankful, I'm sure the media would be criticizing him for that. And Trump DOES often call other world leaders out on corrupt policies and violence, and the media goes nuts over that too.

    He will never be able to win everyone over but I find that the over-the-top criticism he gets actually makes me more sympathetic to him when he does something I disagree with because I know he's not perfect and can't make everyone happy.
    User avatar
    moda0306
    Executive Member
    Executive Member
    Posts: 7785
    Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
    Location: Minnesota

    Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

    Postby moda0306 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 pm

    What do you consider "real journalism" with regards to the executive branch and the presidency right now, Michellebell?

    What are your main priorities for how our media holds our government accountable at this point in history?

    Surely it can't be limited to reporting that some dipshit liberals are building a hotel, right?
    Michellebell
    Executive Member
    Executive Member
    Posts: 186
    Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

    Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

    Postby Michellebell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm

    moda0306 wrote:What do you consider "real journalism" with regards to the executive branch and the presidency right now, Michellebell?

    What are your main priorities for how our media holds our government accountable at this point in history?

    Surely it can't be limited to reporting that some dipshit liberals are building a hotel, right?



    I would consider "actual news" to be objective reports of international deals, tax reform, laws and court rulings, etc.

    I agree there's a lot of news stories going around right now which are just attacking the other side, and they are so eye-catching that they really can be a distraction.
    User avatar
    moda0306
    Executive Member
    Executive Member
    Posts: 7785
    Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
    Location: Minnesota

    Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

    Postby moda0306 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm

    Michellebell wrote:
    moda0306 wrote:What do you consider "real journalism" with regards to the executive branch and the presidency right now, Michellebell?

    What are your main priorities for how our media holds our government accountable at this point in history?

    Surely it can't be limited to reporting that some dipshit liberals are building a hotel, right?



    I would consider "actual news" to be objective reports of international deals, tax reform, laws and court rulings, etc.

    I agree there's a lot of news stories going around right now which are just attacking the other side, and they are so eye-catching that they really can be a distraction.


    After hearing Glenn Greenwald discuss the topic, I lean towards his perspective... that is, nobody is objective. We all have our biases in multiple areas... right or wrong. And it's best to admit it and present your perspective honestly than to feign "objectivity." He does a better job of explaining it than I, but there are an infinite number of "facts" out there... and even more infinite number of "lies."

    That-said, establishing actual facts and dispelling lies is an important aspect of good journalism, and I'd imagine you and I agree with that, irrespective of differences in our analysis on the current president, or perhaps more usefully, what is "important" to focus on.

    And maybe that's my point... what is "important?" It's implied if journalism covers something that it is in some way, right? In which case, the President meeting with an authoritarian murderer after enthusiastically supporting him is (in my opinion), several thousand times more "important" than some liberals building an anti-Trump hotel.

    That is because I distrust centralized systems of power or "authority," or any series of systems that present a catastrophic risk to life. One of these "systems" is centralized state systems with massive military power.

    Hopefully this illustrates why I feel like discussing the executive branch of the most powerful killing force in the history of humanity is more important than a hippie hotel.
    User avatar
    pugchief
    Executive Member
    Executive Member
    Posts: 2127
    Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
    Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

    Re: Screaming helplessly at the sky

    Postby pugchief » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:13 am

    moda0306 wrote:After hearing Glenn Greenwald discuss the topic, I lean towards his perspective... that is, nobody is objective. We all have our biases in multiple areas... right or wrong. And it's best to admit it and present your perspective honestly than to feign "objectivity." He does a better job of explaining it than I, but there are an infinite number of "facts" out there... and even more infinite number of "lies."

    Perhaps, but there are certainly different levels of bias. Your best bet is to go to https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ and choose a news source that is as unbiased as possible, e.g., Reuters.

    moda0306 wrote:And maybe that's my point... what is "important?" It's implied if journalism covers something that it is in some way, right? In which case, the President meeting with an authoritarian murderer after enthusiastically supporting him is (in my opinion), several thousand times more "important" than some liberals building an anti-Trump hotel.

    And you'd be correct, if news sites could only publish one story per day. But since, alas, that is not the case, while the meeting with Duterte may be 'more important', it's good to also know how completely off the rails the left has become.

    Return to “Other Discussions”

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests