Page 1 of 1

PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:16 am
by Tom
Am I correct that PRPFX is really down 6.58% YTD?  My personal 4x4 is positive about 6.69% YTD as of right now.  That is a huge difference.  Any idea why it's doing so much worse?  Almost makes me question if I'm tracking mine correctly - everyone else is up 6-7% right?

Re: PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:23 am
by TennPaGa
Tom wrote: Am I correct that PRPFX is really down 6.58% YTD?  My personal 4x4 is positive about 6.69% YTD as of right now.  That is a huge difference.  Any idea why it's doing so much worse?  Almost makes me question if I'm tracking mine correctly - everyone else is up 6-7% right?
I get that PRPFX is +6.34% ytd.

LINK

Re: PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:29 am
by Tom
As I look at it more I get all kinds of weird percentages.  A simple google search pops up with a chart and underneath it says YTD is -6.58%.

Yahoo Finance says positive 3.15% LINK: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PRPFX

Morningstar says positive 6.34%  LINK: http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/PRPFX/quote.html

Re: PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:45 am
by TennPaGa
Tom wrote: As I look at it more I get all kinds of weird percentages.  A simple google search pops up with a chart and underneath it says YTD is -6.58%.

Yahoo Finance says positive 3.15% LINK: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PRPFX

Morningstar says positive 6.34%  LINK: http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/PRPFX/quote.html
The Yahoo 3.15% YTD return is through February 29 (pesky asterisk :) ).

I see the -6.58% in the Google search results.  Weird!

Re: PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:49 am
by mukramesh
Eh? Google Finance shows +6.19% YTD
https://www.google.com/finance?q=MUTF%3 ... 2AaAg5HwBQ

Not sure why Google Search shows -6.58%. :o

Re: PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:36 pm
by TennPaGa
mukramesh wrote: Eh? Google Finance shows +6.19% YTD
https://www.google.com/finance?q=MUTF%3 ... 2AaAg5HwBQ
Tom got the 3.15% number from the front page of his link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PRPFX

Image

... which not YTD, but "YTF29" ("through February 29"). ;) :o

Re: PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:52 pm
by Tom
TennPaGa wrote:
mukramesh wrote: Eh? Google Finance shows +6.19% YTD
https://www.google.com/finance?q=MUTF%3 ... 2AaAg5HwBQ
Tom got the 3.15% number from the front page of his link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PRPFX

Image

... which not YTD, but "YTF29" ("through February 29"). ;) :o
Didn't catch that asterisk - that explains it!

Re: PRPFX -6.58% YTD, 4x4 +6.69% YTD

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:18 am
by AdamA
The thing is a lot of the financial sites like googlefinance.com don't take into account the end of year distribution. So what happens is shareholders get a payout, and then the price of the fund drops. If you re-invest the payout, you'll own more shares of PRPFX, but at a lower price.

If you look at the chart without considering this, it will look like the fund is taking a beating when in reality the distribution is just being left out.