Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Proposal To Change This Section To "Other Lazy Portfolios"

Post by MediumTex » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:43 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
foglifter wrote: I think we heard enough aye's to go ahead with the change. Who has the power to make our dreams true?
The moderators talked about this a little bit a couple of months ago, but decided against the idea.  We want to keep the board section names focused on the Permanent Portfolio.

But, by all means, start new lazy portfolio threads -- they fit fine in both the "Other Discussions" and the "Variable Portfolio Discussion" sections.

-- TPG
Just make sure to stay on topic with whatever you post.  :)
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:36 pm

It would be great to have a section on here where PP data for several major economies is available. Recently belgo showed interest in a European PP but I don't think we were of much help. I think a big reason is that we just don't have the European PP data readily available. Yes, I know it can really only go back as far as when the Euro was introduced, but even that could be instructive. Japan data would be great to see with the Japanese having been mired in a deflationary cycle for a couple of decades. Craig had a great evaluation of the Icelandic PP during their big crisis, but that could use an update as well. OK, so I am getting away from major economies, but it seems this forum is too USA-centric.

It would be interesting to see how this portfolio really performs under different kinds of stress tests, some of which we haven't seen here in the US, at least since 1972 or 1975 (the usual two starting point when looking at the US PP).
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:58 pm

barrett wrote: It would be interesting to see how this portfolio really performs under different kinds of stress tests, some of which we haven't seen here in the US, at least since 1972 or 1975 (the usual two starting point when looking at the US PP).
After 2008, the PP has a pretty nice data set showing how it works in periods of deflation, inflation, prosperity and different types of recessionary conditions.

What would you like to see that you don't think has happened yet?

Are you wanting another inflationary period?  To me, the 1970s showed pretty clearly that the PP works just fine during periods of inflation.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:48 pm

MediumTex wrote: After 2008, the PP has a pretty nice data set showing how it works in periods of deflation, inflation, prosperity and different types of recessionary conditions.

What would you like to see that you don't think has happened yet?

Are you wanting another inflationary period?  To me, the 1970s showed pretty clearly that the PP works just fine during periods of inflation.
That's a good question. Japan is often on my mind because I see so many deflationary signals around the world. Does anyone have good up-to-date PP data on Japan? I've seen it written up in the past (maybe by Craig?) but don't know how it's done the last several years. My recollection is that in an extended low-rate, low-growth environment, the PP generates returns that are barely positive, both in real and nominal terms.

And that isn't meant as a complaint. I just strongly believe it's important to know what the limitations of a portfolio are.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:20 pm

I like the idea of having sections for other lazy portfolios (which are not, strictly speaking, VPs), personal finance, and science & medicine.  Is it possible to add more categories?

I do enjoy lurking on the Boglehead personal finance section and it would be great to have more discussions like that here.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Or we could just close this entire section down because it is essentially deader than Rand Paul's campaign.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.