Down 9.9% Today???

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Down 9.9% Today???

Post by dualstow »

This thread could definitely use a motivational image from frugal. Where are you, buddy?
🍍
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote: This thread could definitely use a motivational image from frugal. Where are you, buddy?
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

:D
🍍
Bjrnet

Post by Bjrnet »

AdamA wrote: What's up with PRPFX today?

It's down 9.9%.
Regarding PRPFX:  OK, I think I understand what is going on after reading through this forum.  However, it is now Jan 1 (a holiday I know) and the dividend ($0.25) and capital gains ($4.35) that we all expect still have not showed up in my account.  When will these gains show up in my account?  Will they be tax reportable in 2013 or 2014?
Last edited by Bjrnet on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
number5858

Post by number5858 »

It depends on your broker, but should be 1-3 business days from the 31st. It should be taxable for 2013 if held in a non-IRA, 401K type account.
number5858

Post by number5858 »

Desert wrote: I may be missing something, but I don't see any reason to own PRPFX.  Why not just hold 4 ETF's?
If you are managing your funds all the time, then that is true, but what about if something happens to you? You might want something like this for a spouse or other who is not very knowledgeable with finance that is simple enough that they can understand and manage if you can't.
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

My account is up to speed. The price has stayed lower with the additional shares. I am now trying to find out about the shares I sold on the close of the day it dropped it somehow it was added in. I hate to think I lost 10% on the shares I sold. The price of the sale was the lower price. They added back shares on the amount of shares I am still holding.
Bjrnet

Post by Bjrnet »

number5858 wrote: It depends on your broker, but should be 1-3 business days from the 31st. It should be taxable for 2013 if held in a non-IRA, 401K type account.
So, although I don't actually realize the gain until 2014, I have to report it on my 2013 tax return.  Just doesn't seem right!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I might actually use my remaining PRPFX shares to rebalance my HBPP.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Jan 3: Nothing in Vanguard yet, but they're never the quickest. Maybe that's how they keep costs low.
🍍
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Same here, dualstow.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote: Same here, dualstow.
Vanguard doesn't even have December statements ready for download, yet, which is also unsurprising. Fidelity usually has them the first business day of the new month.
🍍
Bjrnet

Post by Bjrnet »

Etrade finally showed my PRPFX dividend and capital gain this morning (Friday, Jan 3).
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Well it has now been 6 business days since this large distribution and I still have not seen the money in my account. I just called Vanguard and they informed me that they contacted PRPFX today and were told by PRPFX that it would be an additional 3-5 business days for me to be paid. It sure sounds like PRPFX is affording themselves a nice interest free loan for an excessive amount of time before paying this out. Is it common for a mutual fund to wait up to 10 business days to pay out a distribution to a customer?

Update: I contacted PRPFX directly and they claim that they sent out the distribution to Vanguard on Jan 2nd. So I called Vanguard for the second time and asked them if they had received the funds as of yet and could not get a direct answer but that I should be receiving the distribution in another 3-5 business days. Something sure sounds fishy here!
Last edited by Reub on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MangoMan wrote: Ex-dividend date was 12/27/13, payable and reportable on 12/30/13. If they are not there by tomorrow, I would call your broker and inquire. Mine showed up this morning with Monday's date as the trade date.
I just noticed that on my dividend page at Vanguard, the PRPFX distribution is listed under 2014, not 2013. Hmm.
🍍
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That's what I was expecting. Thank you, MangoMan!
🍍
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

Sold all my PPFRX. Doing it with ETfs. Bye Bye .69 fee.
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

It was all retirement money. Obama has to wait until I retire to take me apart with taxes. My performance has been better since I sold out of PRPFX. I am up 4% YTD thanks in part to GDX and GDXJ. Feels good knowing those fees are history.