Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Help With Setting Up PP

Post by hoost »

l2jperry wrote:
For cash, I prefer to keep it accessible so that it can be used for emergencies, so I would avoid the CD.  I would keep it in a savings account, or in a TMM or short-term bond fund, or a regular money market, any of which would have check writing privileges.  Personally I use VFIRX in taxable with check-writing privileges.
I will still have savings outside of the PP for emergency funds, also I am 22, no expenses other than car/health insurance, and no debt. So even though you're not making much off of cash anyway, i'd like to put it in something for 1-2 years that will give me the best return, I don't mind a little extra risk. So with that being said, what do you think?
It's good to hear that your expenses are low and you have no debt. Try to keep it that way as much as possible.  That being said, I still don't like the idea of having cash locked up in a CD.  To me, it sort of defeats the purpose of having cash if you have to pay a penalty to use it, whether you're using it to rebalance or cover an emergency.  Like some of the others have said, I'd look at treasuries, or perhaps I-bonds if you want a little more yield. They are more accessible.  As you grow your portfolio, I would encourage you to look at your e-fund as part of the cash allocation; to me, that's one of the best features of the PP.

Best of luck; it's good that you're thinking about this kind of stuff now.  Keep in mind that at some point you may get married and want to buy a house, etc., all of which will require cash, so don't be afraid of being cash-heavy at this point in life.
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

This looks like a great plan.  The 2-coin version. ;)

If you put the cash in a CD and keep rolling the CD over, you might have to pay a penalty when the time comes to rebalance.  I would do that only after you've been running the portfolio a few years, and only put "deep cash" into a CD (same as with I-bonds).  A savings account is better.

Ally, American Express, and other online banks have high-yield savings accounts with rates around 0.85%, which is only a few basis points lower than a 1-2 year CD.
l2jperry

Post by l2jperry »

Thanks Smurff for your reply. That is good advice, I hadn't considered the cash portion would be tied up for at least a year with the i-bonds or C.D. which could be a problem if I need to re-balance. I appreciate it.