PRPFX movements in price

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

PRPFX movements in price

Post by portart »

Can someone explain how on a day when gold is up .58 of a percent and the dow is up .30 percent, PRPFX is only up .01%. I was expecting some sort of move back towards $49 a share with the market at an all time high and gold close to 1600. My guess is the stock holdings in the fund are not moving in tandem with the market as a whole but you would think gold up nine bucks, it would have been a little bit higher.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PRPFX movements in price

Post by sophie »

It's actually up 0.1%.  I think sometimes there's a lag of a day or so with these things. 

But there's no denying that PRPFX has been underperforming the 4x25 PP, even if supplemented with bonds.  The francs and silver can't explain it, and neither can the focus on natural resource stocks - both silver and natural resource indexes outperformed gold & the Dow today.  I guess the active stock picking must be at fault.

Per my records for the past few months, the monthly returns of my 4x25 PP vs 90% PRPFX/10% EDV (respectively) have been:

February:  -0.44% -1.45%
Jan:  0.23% 0.43%
Dec:  -0.67% -1.90%
Nov: 1.36% -0.10%

November and February might look better than expected for the 4x25 because of long bond dividends.  Also the PRPFX dividend in December gets captured in my 4x25 cash, so that comparison is slightly unfair.  Still, these numbers are making me think about dumping PRPFX and putting everything into the 4x25.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

I couldn't agree with you more. Something has changed. I used to be able to predict using the parameter of the items you outlined, about how it would move. It should be closer to 50 then 48 based on where the market and gold is. I hate to start bailing on them but I might start selling some each week and balance it with PERM or do my own allocation it this is going to be the new normal.
Last edited by portart on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

sophie wrote: I guess the active stock picking must be at fault.
+1.  The manager has no acumen for picking sticks.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

MachineGhost wrote:
sophie wrote: I guess the active stock picking must be at fault.
+1.  The manager has no acumen for picking sticks.
It's also the way PRPFX is configured. Remember that only 15% is in growth stocks the rest are in things like real estate and natural resources. PRPFX will kill the 4x25% PP in a high inflationary scenario. But it's pretty much doomed to lag in most others.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.