I Wonder If Cuggino Is Buying Longer Dated Treasurys

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

I Wonder If Cuggino Is Buying Longer Dated Treasurys

Post by MediumTex »

It occurred to me today that PRPFX has been holding up better than one would expect in light of current market conditions (everything flat or down except LT treasurys) and PRPFX's historically low exposure to the long end of the treasury market.

I haven't looked at PRPFX's holdings lately, but I wonder if Cuggino has purchased longer dated treasurys recently?

Cuggino strikes me as a bit of a herd follower, so it would make sense for him to be beefing up the fund's treasury allocation with longer dated bonds, since that seems to be the popular trade right now.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I Wonder If Cuggino Is Buying Longer Dated Treasurys

Post by foglifter »

I checked the M* portfolio page and it does show some additional purchases as well as new positions in gold, Treasuries, and Swiss bonds as of 7/31. Looking at the rates it looks like the new Treasury notes must be LTs, although I'm not sure.

"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
BugMan

Post by BugMan »

MT,

You should call and ask him. The guy loves to "talk shop".

MediumTex wrote: It occurred to me today that PRPFX has been holding up better than one would expect in light of current market conditions (everything flat or down except LT treasurys) and PRPFX's historically low exposure to the long end of the treasury market.

I haven't looked at PRPFX's holdings lately, but I wonder if Cuggino has purchased longer dated treasurys recently?

Cuggino strikes me as a bit of a herd follower, so it would make sense for him to be beefing up the fund's treasury allocation with longer dated bonds, since that seems to be the popular trade right now.
SmallPotatoes

Post by SmallPotatoes »

Is PRPFX the new 4x25?

Since I incorporate VTWSX into my PP I've actually done a smidge better than a traditional TSM fund. The trade-off (there always is one) is a higher ER.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

SmallPotatoes wrote: Is PRPFX the new 4x25?

Since I incorporate VTWSX into my PP I've actually done a smidge better than a traditional TSM fund. The trade-off (there always is one) is a higher ER.
It's been around for quite awhile: according to Yahoo Finance the inception date is Dec 1, 1982.

I think TSM or S&P500 fund served as a good option for the equities part of PP a couple of decades ago, but since US economy share shrank to ~40% a total world or world ex-US fund seem to be a better option. Personally I decided to forgo international developed markets (due to high correlations with US) and use emerging markets as a tilt for TSM.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud