Yahoo PRPFX Message Board

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Yahoo PRPFX Message Board

Post by MediumTex » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:28 pm

Every time I look at the PRPFX discussion at Yahoo I just shake my head.

So much confusion about what PRPFX does.

It's amazing that people make investment decisions based upon such a thin comprehension of what they are buying.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Yahoo PRPFX Message Board

Post by AdamA » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:55 pm

It brings back memories for me.

I used to post similar comments over at The Motley Fool.  I didn't know what I was talking about, but always hoped that someone would respond to my posts in such a way as provide some kind of investing epiphany for me...never happened...at least not there.
Last edited by AdamA on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 am

AdamA,

What are "similar comments?"  I'm not familiar with where these comments are.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 am

moda0306 wrote: AdamA,

What are "similar comments?"  I'm not familiar with where these comments are.
I'm referring to comments I posted on fool.com.  They are "similar" to the confused posting that seems to occur on the yahoo PRPFX message board.  I didn't cut and paste any of those comments, because I thought it might be considered rude.  Here are some of my own gems, though.

I'm embarrassed to say that this one is from as late as 2010.
I've recently started using both MMA and covered calls to improve my returns. I love both of them, but it's sometimes difficult to employ both strategies together b/c a stock selling above it's MMA tends to trend up and cause the call to get exercised.

Does anyone know of a practical way to use both covered calls and MMA?

Thanks,
Adam
I actually had to goole what MMA even was because I couldn't remember.  It's "modified moving average," so I was not using mixed martial arts to trade, although it probably would have worked better. 

Another deep thought:  (2007)
Also, Pfizer is kind of a classic Value stock. The price will likely remain stagnant for the next few years, and then show a healthy increase over a short period of time. Even with it's current difficulties, it's still a cash cow.
And my favorite, also from 2007 (although I can't post the whole thing b/c I no longer have a subscription):
So...how permanent/temporary do we think that this housing market "crisis" is? I agree with everyone else in that it seems like a great time to buy more. Sometimes I regret buying FNM in that it's a much tougher business to value.

Last edited by AdamA on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pascal
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 am

AdamA,

Thanks for swallowing your pride a bit and posting those.  The last one was a gem.  I made so many dumb assertions before (and after) 2008 that I can't help but laugh at myself.

I used to laugh at "savings bonds" and "5% ING CD's" as a complete joke.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 am

moda0306 wrote: Thanks for swallowing your pride a bit and posting those.  
No problem.  For some reason I enjoy it.  

I know I've mentioned it before, but there was one time in the not too distant past when I was attempting to become a certified Eliot Wave analyst.

http://www.elliottwave.com/CEWA/Certifi ... code=OCOMI

From the link:
Prove to yourself and your peers your proficiency in Elliott wave analysis at the theoretical level. Should you choose to continue the process to get your CEWA designation and all the perks that come with it, you will already be halfway there.
Wow!  I could be halfway to proving my Eliot Wave proficiency to my peers!  Just imagine the "perks!"  

There are soooo many more.  Maybe I should write a book.   ;)
Last edited by AdamA on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pascal
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:54 am

AdamA wrote: I actually had to goole what MMA even was because I couldn't remember.  It's "modified moving average," so I was not using mixed martial arts to trade, although it probably would have worked better. 
Great post, Adam.

Also, I very much like the image of you wrestling your portfolio into submission via triangle choke in the 2nd round.
pershing83

Post by pershing83 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:44 am

Truly amazing how many pundits, experts and so on do not know the basic compositionof the HB PP or PRPFX. Also, interesting is the lack of mention PRPFX gets in the financial media and this a fund with 15 bil in assets. When I first bought PRPFX I think it had maybe 700 mil in assets. If you leave gold out I wonder where PRPFX is vs the world off mutual funds.

YTD PRPFX is up 4%. It was stompeed by the classic PP laast yr, up 10% I think- vs 1-2% for PRPFX (after having 2 huge years). 
pershing83

Post by pershing83 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:10 am

This set me thinking and I did locate a CNN best mutual fund list. Balanced funds, Vang Wellington, but Vang Wellesley easily outperformed Wellington, up 10% last year with Wellington up 6%. PRPFX not listed, not mentioned though clear winner, 3-5 and 10 yrs. Wellesley not mentioned.

In fact, I did find a Royce small cap fund up 8% last yr but unfortunately in negative territory 5 yr period. The best fund for 2011 was a Fairholme fund up 13% but over last 5yrs , yep, underwater.

Point here is one cannot trust these, in this case, CNN. Well, I'm not surprised.

Have a look at the listing if curious:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag ... index.html
pershing83

Post by pershing83 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:20 am

Now I am curious. PRPFX has a 10 yr ann return of 11%; anyone out there aware of mutual funds doing any better? Omit gold.

BTW, mgmt fee is .78%.  HB's pp beat PRPFX hands down in '11. 
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:24 pm

pershing83 wrote: Now I am curious. PRPFX has a 10 yr ann return of 11%; anyone out there aware of mutual funds doing any better? Omit gold.

BTW, mgmt fee is .78%.  HB's pp beat PRPFX hands down in '11. 
It really is as good as a mutual fund gets. 

I also think it's a great way to add institutional diversity to a DIY PP. 

Who knows, if things got really bad in the world of finance, The Permanent Portfolio Family of Funds may be able to do a better job of protecting their assets than an individual investor using a 25% x 4. 

They benefit greatly from their reputation of trustworthiness, and would stand to lose a lot of money if that reputation was ever tarnished.  They've also been around for a while. 

Pascal