PRPFX Got A Little Bloodied Today

Discussion of funds that implement the Permanent Portfolio strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PRPFX Got A Little Bloodied Today

Post by Ad Orientem »

pershing83 wrote: Glad to see you all are getting along well in spite of the fear and loathing which has not helped gold at all. I've watched all my PRPFX go from about 8% YTD to 0.39% YTD. Will anyone be kind enought to post the classic PP YTD number? TIA

PRPFX 12 mos return about 8%. I, for one would be delighted to get 2% out of PRPFX by EOY.

My old faithful Vanguard Wellesley (VWINX) is outperforming PRPFX on the YTD business; up 3.3% . 60% bonds/40%income stocks.

I noticed someone said they might be selling? Not a good idea IMO, after all you must do something with the money.
My tracking of the HB-PP (4 x 25%) using GLD VTI TLT and SHY is up 8.12% YTD.  That is one of the problems with PRPFX.  It is weighted towards an inflationary scenario and has a higher volatility level than the HB-PP.  I still consider PRPFX as a good choice for conservative investors who don't want to be bothered with any sort of hands on management at all.  But yea, it's not perfect.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
longeyes

Post by longeyes »

I started my HBPP in February; up about 10 per cent year to date.  I wish I could say the same for my holdings in PRPFX.
escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro »

I would like to know the idea behind of having the HBPP and also the PRPFX.
What PRPFX adds or complement?
Last edited by escafandro on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longeyes

Post by longeyes »

Why?  I wanted to compare the two strategies on the actual playing field (although I was aware of their historical records).  My interest in  PRPFX was initially in part because I wanted to use systematic withdrawals upon retirement and figured it might be easier to deal with that through PRPFX (less complicated).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I just got back from 2 1/2 weeks in China where I was unable (unwilling) to trade and unable to load my spreadsheets. I was able to check on TLT, GTU, VTI, etc.
Still, I was kind of surprised to see my HBPP well above my PRPFX for the first time. The latter has mostly been up 11-13% for me, and now it's up 8%. Still, no complaints. That's money that used to be in stocks and nothing else. Even with its $100 dollar drop in a single day, gold is up from where I bought it.

I'm very impressed with the performance of TLT and 30-year bonds held directly. They're doing their job, just like Harry said they would.
🍍
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

The problem with PRPFX is not enough LT and too much Swiss Francs. I have reduced my holding after the Swissie pegged to the Euro.
Ariadne22
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Ariadne22 »

Well, after much rumination, I sold PRPFX completely after the latest runup Thursday, at a small loss.  Bought b/4 I learned it was short on LT and got put in the trick bag on the franc.  Plus don't like Wynn or Freeport McM.  So, converting to the PP.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Ariadne22 wrote: Well, after much rumination, I sold PRPFX completely after the latest runup Thursday, at a small loss.  Bought b/4 I learned it was short on LT and got put in the trick bag on the franc.  Plus don't like Wynn or Freeport McM.  So, converting to the PP.
Glad to read that final sentence instead of a complete abandonment of the philosophy. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get my dad into long term treasuries for six months now. The more they go up, the more he insists it's too late. His bond guy finally got him into a gold fund that is light years from a pure play. Maybe I should give up proselytizing.
🍍
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

PRPFX should have a really nice day today.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
longeyes

Post by longeyes »

I'm getting comfortable with a portfolio split between a HBPP and PRPFX.  Each portfolio has its points.