Moderator: Global Moderator

johntaylor
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Rethinking the Permanent Portfolio

Post by johntaylor » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:15 pm

bitcoininthevp wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm
I am also happy to answer any direct messages for people who have specific questions.
when moon, sir ? :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:35 pm

bitcoininthevp wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:41 am
Blockchain is fascinating,...
Why is blockchain fascinating? What use case does the blockchain enable beyond money?

Blockchains are for resisting censorship.
Exactly. I feel like I’ve given this answer before but:
when a university student in Beijing was allegedly assaulted by a professor, her supporters put the accusation into blockchain so that it could not be erased.
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:26 pm

bitcoininthevp wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:39 pm
bitcoininthevp, would you be willing to write up a short post (sticky?) as a guide on how best the rest of us can test the waters in integrating bitcoin/cyrptocurrencies into our portfolios? I mean, guides like that exist, but I mean your ideas within the context of the pp/vp. What to avoid, how best to pursue it practically, how much to integrate, and all that pragmatic stuff.
Since IMHO Bitcoin would be in the VP, there are not many guidances that would be PP specific. Since I think the VP is "anything goes" pretty much. But maybe Im missing something there. Feel free to add some follow up questions. Im happy to include some ideas on monetization, risks, applicable articles that might appeal to PPers.

I can recommend a way to acquire a small amount of Bitcoin that I think is most safe. And a way to store Bitcoin securely. Ill let others post any additional questions here before I draft it to make sure everything is included.

I am also happy to answer any direct messages for people who have specific questions.
Agreed that bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general are most appropriate for the VP. And certainly the VP is where anything goes.

What I'm thinking is that there's likely a way to go about dipping one's toe into the waters more prudently via the VP, as opposed to doing it in a haphazard way. Your familiarity with both Browne's work and cryptocurrencies would be invaluable in that case.

In addition, perhaps the discussion can evolve over time as bitcoin and the alt coins mature -- maybe even to the point in which they deserve a place alongside gold in the PP.
PP + VP + Bank Cash + Physical Bullion
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
The true measurement of a person's worth isn't what they say they believe in, but what they do in defense of those beliefs. If you're not acting on your beliefs, then they probably aren't real. - Edward Snowden