Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What's going on with silver?

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:06 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:45 am
I have always felt that I don't want to see hot money come into the PM market. For long term holders, I think it's more likely to be a bad thing. I don't want gold to fluctuate like Bitcoin, for example. Steady as she goes.
Same. (Of course, gold does fluctuate like crazy, but as long as there’s an upward trend).
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Silver holding its ground better than gold and stocks today.

Everything from bonds, stocks, bitcoin and gold getting sold to cover silver shorts?

Edit:
Yeah nevermind. Silver dropping quicker than anything now.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:55 pm

Silver, at least in Canadian Dollars, has gone up by about 50% in the past year. I've sold half my silver position to lock in some gains. I've since reallocated that gain into gold, since that particular metal hasn't been as generous in the past 12 months.

For some reason one of my local dealers won't take Silver Kruggerands, but all the others will. Strange.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 am

I don’t know if it’s a glitch or what, but ‘Empire of Silver’ by Jin Xu is under US$3 at amazon right now. Not just the kindle, but even the hardcover.
https://smile.amazon.com/Empire-Silver- ... 300250045/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:46 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 am

I don’t know if it’s a glitch or what, but ‘Empire of Silver’ by Jin Xu is under US$3 at amazon right now. Not just the kindle, but even the hardcover.

Probably part of some strategy. I get a daily email of many books that are FREE on Amazon but that day only. That email usually arrives later in the evening. If I don't get to that email until the next day many of those books are no longer free.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Both the Kindle and Hardcover versions were the same price. I had to think which one to purchases. But after spending HUGE amounts of time the last three months (with much time still needed) on handling and moving around paper-based books in my house .... I ended up purchasing the Kindle version.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:47 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 am
Thanks! just purchased the book. I am also reading “This Time is Different” by Ken Rogoff and Carmen Reinhardt. It’s a 800 year history of financial collapses around the world.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:52 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:47 pm

I am also reading “This Time is Different” by Ken Rogoff and Carmen Reinhardt.
Oh that sounds good, too! We’ll have to get Kriegs to post a list of what he’s reading in the appropriate thread. He seems to be a voracious reader.
I’m mostly reading other stuff, but I’m enjoying chapter one of the silver book, including all the Chinese vocabulary, taels and other non-coin silver weights (metage).
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 am

I thought This Time Is Different was really tough to get through when I read it many years ago. IIRC, there was an article I came across afterwards that claimed there was an error that they made to arrive at their conclusions in the book. I think it was a spreadsheet error.

Yes, 10 seconds of internet confirms that there are many articles discussing it. I didn't dig into it that deeply.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:14 am

Gold-to-silver ratio in the 90s again, first time in two years. About 92:1 right now. I think I'll swap some gold for silver if it cracks 100.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/price-r ... ver/3year/
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:37 am

Gold-to-silver ratio at around 93:1 today. 94:1 if you use the numbers from yahoo (currently $1750.10/$18.58). After my previous post it hovered around this level for a couple of weeks before dropping to 87-ish. Would have been about a 6% gain. Still, I'm waiting for 100:1. If we're going to have recession/depression, then I suspect industrial silver will be low in demand for a while and the ratio will get higher.

I note that belangp posted a video regarding the amounts of gold and silver in storage as monetary metals. The trend in silver is down, prompting him to surmise that the new-normal trading range of the gold-to-silver ratio might rise, with 75:1 possibly becoming the new low. For three decades the range had been 50-75. So, new range (my conclusion) of 75-110 going forward?
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:40 am

If I am reading this right, SLV is up 15% in 5 days.

Crazy volatile.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:24 pm

Pet Hog wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:14 am
I think I'll swap some gold for silver if it cracks 100.
Pet Hog wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:37 am
Still, I'm waiting for 100:1.
I wish I had acted on gold and silver when I made those two posts. They both signaled the top. Next time I post that I'm waiting for 100:1, slap me down!