Gold Eagle Premiums Falling

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gold Eagle Premiums Falling

Post by FarmerD » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:59 pm

I've read the US Mint coin sales for silver Eagles and Gold eagles are at 10 year lows. That probably accounts for the big drop in premiums. For example, right now, Gainesville Coins has 1 oz Gold eagles on sale for $14.99 over spot. I've never seen a premium that low in the 10+ years I've followed coin prices.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold Eagle Premiums Falling

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 pm

FarmerD wrote:I've read the US Mint coin sales for silver Eagles and Gold eagles are at 10 year lows. That probably accounts for the big drop in premiums. For example, right now, Gainesville Coins has 1 oz Gold eagles on sale for $14.99 over spot. I've never seen a premium that low in the 10+ years I've followed coin prices.
Very low public participation suggests that we may be getting into a serious bull market soon.

Or maybe not.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:49 am

Crypto's eating into gold's market share (liquid hard currency/asset) and central banks face increasing public scrutiny w/the internet. it'll keep up with inflation, and maybe pop a bit during crises, but otherwise not optimistic about golds future, im 10%. if i had no real estate i might hold more gold
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am

boglerdude wrote:Crypto's eating into gold's market share (liquid hard currency/asset) and central banks face increasing public scrutiny w/the internet. it'll keep up with inflation, and maybe pop a bit during crises, but otherwise not optimistic about golds future, im 10%. if i had no real estate i might hold more gold
Real estate is not a substitute for gold as an investment, as Harry Browne pointed out many years ago.

And as for crypto as an investment, I expect that to have all the staying power of Beanie Babies.

Note that I'm not saying blockchain isn't important; it may very well be. But still not as an investment.