Gold is Losing Buyers to Bitcoin

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold is Losing Buyers to Bitcoin

Post by dualstow »

Bay-id, as Mr Mackey on South Park would say. Very bay-id, m'kay.
🍍
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo »

It's wrong to bet your house on a crypto-currency, m'kay? That's bad.
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -bug-ether

"More than $300m of cryptocurrency has been lost after a series of bugs in a popular digital wallet service led one curious developer to accidentally take control of and then lock up the funds, according to reports."

::)
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo »

Kriegsspiel wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -bug-ether

"More than $300m of cryptocurrency has been lost after a series of bugs in a popular digital wallet service led one curious developer to accidentally take control of and then lock up the funds, according to reports."

::)
"Effectively, a user accidentally stole hundreds of wallets simultaneously, and then set them on fire in a panic while trying to give them back."

Back into the ether?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

That's almost as bad as losing all your gold in a boating accident, which happened to me.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

ochotona wrote:That's almost as bad as losing all your gold in a boating accident, which happened to me.
i swear i honestly thought it would float...

-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

+1 for fiat? Inflation erases any lost treasures
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

What was the name of that fellow who was giving out small amounts of bitcoin a few years ago on this site? It might have been a Dutch sounding name but not certain about that. I'd like to find his posts on here, if possible.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

🍍
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

dualstow wrote:Marc

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5323#p82707
Thanks, dualstow!
How would one go about finding this bitcoin and cashing it out? Does anyone still own their's?
Was it on mtgox.com, which went under?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I don’t think it was on Mt Gox. I still have mine, though I’ve been meaning to cash it in.

I see on Nov 18, 2013, I urged Marc to spend his bitcoin already because it had reached US$600. ! O0
🍍
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

dualstow wrote:I don’t think it was on Mt Gox. I still have mine, though I’ve been meaning to cash it in.

I see on Nov 18, 2013, I urged Marc to spend his bitcoin already because it had reached US$600. ! O0
I just sent you a PM.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I will read the pm in a sec. I just googled my wallet string which I found on page 7. Looks like I have 56 transactions and a balance of zero. Funny, I should have only one transaction:Marc’s gift. Hmm.
🍍
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

Yes. I see how to get to my account and I click on make payment. It takes me to a page where I can select the amount of the bitcoin to sell and then instructs me to copy a link to my clipboard to use to send the payment. After that I don't know how to proceed. I would like to send the payment to myself somehow, but in the form of actual cash (say to Paypal if its easiest). I can get the link to make the payment but then what should I do to send the payment to myself? Thanks.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo »

dualstow wrote:I will read the pm in a sec. I just googled my wallet string which I found on page 7. Looks like I have 56 transactions and a balance of zero. Funny, I should have only one transaction:Marc’s gift. Hmm.
Uh oh... sounds like you got ganked!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

False alarm; I was reading it wrong. Even though I googled my own wallet string, that seems to be Marc’s that I was looking at. (Zero bitcoins? Hope he has many wallets). I guess that’s the way the ledger works.

Turns out I still have the 0.1 btc. I’m sure I read that wrong a few years ago, too.
🍍
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo »

dualstow wrote:False alarm; I was reading it wrong. Even though I googled my own wallet string, that seems to be Marc’s that I was looking at. (Zero bitcoins? Hope he has many wallets). I guess that’s the way the ledger works.

Turns out I still have the 0.1 btc. I’m sure I read that wrong a few years ago, too.
Ended up being a quite generous gift! To hold or to sell? (sell)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Bitcoin and Ethereum Prices Take a Hit After Another Cryptocurrency Was Hacked
dualstow wrote:Even though I googled my own wallet string, that seems to be Marc’s that I was looking at. (Zero bitcoins? Hope he has many wallets). I guess that’s the way the ledger works.

dualstow, it's possible to look at how much cryptocurrency other people have if you know how?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I don't know if I'm looking at the complete picture, but it seems like if you know someone's wallet string, you can google it. It does show the balance as zero. Now I doubt Marc has zero, but maybe that particular wallet does.
I really know very little about bitcoin having done only one transaction: passively receiving fractional bitcoin from Marc.
(I'm waiting on verification from a trading site, but it appears to be out of order this week. Well, not appears. Customer service wrote back to me and confirmed it). So much for cashing out in a hurry. Maybe it'll be fixed when 1 bitcoin = $45. O0

We need to ask someone who knows what they're talking about. Where's that bitcoin_in_the_vp person? Or Pointed Stick?
🍍
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit »

Don't forget to claim your capital gains on Bitcoin sales. Especially if it is through coinbase. I expect they will get audited if they haven't already.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

dualstow wrote:I don't know if I'm looking at the complete picture, but it seems like if you know someone's wallet string, you can google it. It does show the balance as zero. Now I doubt Marc has zero, but maybe that particular wallet does.
I really know very little about bitcoin having done only one transaction: passively receiving fractional bitcoin from Marc.
(I'm waiting on verification from a trading site, but it appears to be out of order this week. Well, not appears. Customer service wrote back to me and confirmed it). So much for cashing out in a hurry. Maybe it'll be fixed when 1 bitcoin = $45. O0

We need to ask someone who knows what they're talking about. Where's that bitcoin_in_the_vp person? Or Pointed Stick?
Send out the

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

hahaha!
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Send out the

🍍
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

By the way, that would be funny if bitcoininthevp and Marc were the same person...
🍍
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

I wonder how this compares to oil and gas used to pull gold out of the ground.

https://powercompare.co.uk/bitcoin/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Cortopassi wrote:I wonder how this compares to oil and gas used to pull gold out of the ground.
Kriegsspiel wrote: Now, it's gonna take resources to make money, how does bitcoin compare to gold in the resources it takes to "make" it: bitcoin is about 7x more resource-intensive than gold. That's using an "optimistic" number for the energy requirements of bitcoin. Taken from here. But if a bitcoin is worth $6,800 and an ounce of gold is worth $1,275, maybe you could say that bitcoin is only 1.3x as resource intensive ($673 worth of currency created/barrel of oil vs $910 for gold) using the same numbers?