Gold is Losing Buyers to Bitcoin

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold is Losing Buyers to Bitcoin

Post by bitcoininthevp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:09 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:Long Island Iced Tea shares went gangbusters after changing its name to Long Blockchain

Taking a page out of the 60's "*tronic" and 90's ".com" playbook.
Dont forget Kodakcoin and the Kodak Bitcoin Mining Hardware. Yes, THAT Kodak!

https://www.kodak.com/kodakone/default.htm
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 am

Hey bitcoininthevp,

What's your take on the Bitcoin Cash fork? You HODLing your Bitcoin Cash stake, sold it already, or growing it?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:12 pm

MangoMan wrote:MOOC
I figured Online Course, but had to look up the rest. If anyone else is curious:
Massive Open Online Course
RIP Marcello Gandini
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
MangoMan wrote:MOOC
I figured Online Course, but had to look up the rest. If anyone else is curious:
Massive Open Online Course
Well I guess the Massive part makes it more impressive than just an online course. Ginormous probably didn't sound serious enough.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm

O0 Trying to attract the massive multiplayer online role playing game or MMORPG crowd.
RIP Marcello Gandini
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Jack Jones wrote:Hey bitcoininthevp,

What's your take on the Bitcoin Cash fork? You HODLing your Bitcoin Cash stake, sold it already, or growing it?
I believe BTC has the right scaling path. It will take longer but will be more robust.

BCH is basically increasing the # of transactions linearly by a factor of 8. So instead of 7 transactions per second BCH would support ~56 transactions/second.

For reference Visa processes average of 2000 transactions per second with peaks into 50,000+ per second.

BTC is scaling via a new layer on top of bitcoin called Lightning. It is expected to handle much higher volumes, 1000's or 10,000's per second.

Since I got BCH "for free", it is interesting for the PP crowd in that Im speculating with an asset that I didnt purchase.

Ive converted some BCH to BTC. I watch the exchange rate between the two to see when might be a time to convert more. It is also nice have BCH as a hedge if lightning doesnt come soon or work out. I suppose. I dont see ever buying BCH.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:52 pm

MangoMan wrote:If anyone is interested, Princeton is offering a free MOOC on Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency.

http://www.openculture.com/2018/01/bitc ... ceton.html
Princeton's bitcoin course that you mention is a good course. However, for more lay people (non computer needs/programmers), I would recommend less technical videos.

If you are curious or skeptical about bitcoin I would HIGHLY recommend Andreas Antonopoulos' youtube videos. They are less technical and some are for beginners. And he does not just talk bitcoin but how it fits into the world, monetary systems, governments, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJWCJC ... 5DhCieLOLQ