Real Assets vs. Financial Assets

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Real Assets vs. Financial Assets

Post by Dieter »

sophie wrote:If only I could go back in time to March of 2009, and ask each and every person who has switched from the PP to the Golden Butterfly what they think of increasing their stock allocations. I'm pretty sure most of the responses will be along the lines of "are you insane???"

Not to say that the Golden Butterfly isn't a sound portfolio - it's great and a marvelous contribution by Tyler, and I might well switch to it myself when/if I get full control of my main retirement accounts. It's just that I think a lot of its recent popularity is due to what dualstow has just-now famously dubbed a "seasonal fruit".
Ha -- I went 'GBish' from within a Boglehead account that was 60% stocks, reducing stocks to ~42%.

In late 2012 after my stocks had made back their 2008/2009 losses (I didn't get out while down!)

Although instead of that 18% in stock going up ~33% in 2013, it went down 28% as Gold. 2014 and 2015 weren't great either.

What *%(&^& crappy timing.

(I do generally worry less about my investments, so I've got that going for me. My gold allocation is higher now than then.)