Any downside to bars?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Any downside to bars?

Post by ochotona » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm thinking of buying 10 oz Perth Mint gold bars, and I don't intend to remove the tamper-resistant packaging. Does anyone see any downside relative to coins? They are about 2% over spot.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Any downside to bars?

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 am

you may have to pay an assay fee when selling . they hammered me on that fee many years ago selling silver bars .
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:52 am

mathjak107 wrote:you may have to pay an assay fee when selling . they hammered me on that fee many years ago selling silver bars .
I hope to sell back to the same dealer someday, or my heirs will. I'll ask them. Anyone else get hit with assay fees if you kept the gold bar in the original tamper resistant serial numbered packaging?
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:28 am

For gold in my own possession, I'd rather stick with coins that are metal alloys. They will be more resistant to damage from handling and the elements. So for example that rules out Canadian Maple Leafs, as well as bars.

If you're buying from the Perth Mint, are you going to use their allocated storage? It's a pretty hefty minimum ($50K) but if you're talking about 10 oz bars in plural I guess that's not a problem.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:21 am

sophie wrote:If you're buying from the Perth Mint, are you going to use their allocated storage? It's a pretty hefty minimum ($50K) but if you're talking about 10 oz bars in plural I guess that's not a problem.
I think about allocated storage all the time, but I'm not convinced of why it helps when it's not in the USA. It is a "foreign bank account?" - that whole thing. If I redeem online and money starts flowing from AUS to USA, that's a highly visible event. If I travel there (very nice city, by the way), I can't take +$10,000 back in cash on a plane unless I declare it. I can't take my own gold bars back unless I declare them and then do I have to pay import duty on my own property and fight with Customs over that, but they have my money already?
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 am

I don't think there's any way to truly hide your gold overseas, but the idea is that simply making it harder to access than cash in a US bank account can be helpful in case of a legal action. The Perth Mint depository program or depository online accounts are not bank accounts, and the Perth Mint will not provide information directly to the US government. Also, you CAN bring more than $10K into the US without paying fees, you just have to declare it.

I don't think there's any way to possess gold that doesn't have some sort of risk. All you can really do is diversify it, through a combination of gold held at home, in a safety deposit box, and at bank and non-bank storage facilities inside and outside the US.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:52 am

10 oz. is a pretty big chunk to have to liquidate at one time, but otherwise I think it will be okay if you keep them in the original packaging.

At least when I sold Kitco bars that were still in the original packaging, I didn't need to pay any assay charges even when selling to another dealer besides Kitco.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:27 pm

ochotona wrote:I'm thinking of buying 10 oz Perth Mint gold bars, and I don't intend to remove the tamper-resistant packaging. Does anyone see any downside relative to coins? They are about 2% over spot.
If it weren't from Perth Mint and in tamper resistant pkg'ing, I'd be worried about the fact that it's easier to make tungsten bars than tungsten coins, but you have that covered. I got a good feeling about the Perth Mint from Bron's posts here. Btw, he left - http://research.perthmint.com.au/
Bron Suchecki departs The Perth Mint
- Mar 22, 2016

But if you were buying a coin a month, or at least a coin at a time, why the jump to bars? Just for the ~2% markup advantage? (Assuming coins are about 4% markup).
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:29 pm

dualstow wrote:But if you were buying a coin a month, or at least a coin at a time, why the jump to bars? Just for the ~2% markup advantage? (Assuming coins are about 4% markup).
Yes, just for the markup advantage. If there was no price difference I wouldn't do it. For the amount I want to buy, it makes a difference. The change of US President accelerates the possibility of a Black Swan event in my mind, and I don't want to run out of time. I really need to pick up the gold buying pace. What an annoyance that the price jumped up on me in 2016.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:37 pm

I have to say I'm feeling your influence. I used to buy 10 at a time (very infrequently). Then I switched to 1 or 2 for dollar cost averaging.

Lately, I've been thinking about another tube, but now I have to consider this bar.

Btw, did anyone else read that Prince died with a fortune in real estate + 67 gold bars? He did.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:36 pm

ochotona wrote:
dualstow wrote:But if you were buying a coin a month, or at least a coin at a time, why the jump to bars? Just for the ~2% markup advantage? (Assuming coins are about 4% markup).
Yes, just for the markup advantage. If there was no price difference I wouldn't do it. For the amount I want to buy, it makes a difference. The change of US President accelerates the possibility of a Black Swan event in my mind, and I don't want to run out of time. I really need to pick up the gold buying pace. What an annoyance that the price jumped up on me in 2016.
If the amount you are going to buy means that the 2% markup makes a significant different, kilo bars probably have even smaller spreads. But the 400 oz. good delivery bar has the lowest premium, saving about $1/oz. over the 100 oz. bar and $10/oz. over the 10 oz. bar, if I'm doing the math right.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:If the amount you are going to buy means that the 2% markup makes a significant different, kilo bars probably have even smaller spreads. But the 400 oz. good delivery bar has the lowest premium, saving about $1/oz. over the 100 oz. bar and $10/oz. over the 10 oz. bar, if I'm doing the math right.
Kilos are mandatory 1099 reportable. Also not sure if I can buy an even number of kilos. I have two kids!
fi50@fi2023
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by fi50@fi2023 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:50 pm

On the opposite end of the spectrum.... do any of you purchase coins smaller than 1 oz? I wonder if smaller coins would be more useful in a SHTF scenario as a means of trade.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:37 pm

SHTF? Cheap booze, condoms, 9 mm, .223, .22, marijuana, junk silver, cigarettes, vape juice, toilet paper, beef jerky, better than gold.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:01 pm

dualstow wrote:I got a good feeling about the Perth Mint from Bron's posts here. Btw, he left - http://research.perthmint.com.au/
Bron Suchecki departs The Perth Mint
- Mar 22, 2016
He seems to have turned up here:
https://monetary-metals.com/about-us/
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:19 am

fi50@fi2023 wrote:On the opposite end of the spectrum.... do any of you purchase coins smaller than 1 oz? I wonder if smaller coins would be more useful in a SHTF scenario as a means of trade.
Junk silver, e.g., dimes and quarters are probably best for that. Even a 1/20th ounce gold coin is too big a unit for most everyday purchases, and is likely to have a high premium as well.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:57 am

Desert wrote:
ochotona wrote:SHTF? Cheap booze, condoms, 9 mm, .223, .22, marijuana, junk silver, cigarettes, vape juice, toilet paper, beef jerky, better than gold.
:) Great list (I won't comment on my massive stash of condoms).

Regarding junk silver: in a SHTF scenario, do you think the general public is educated enough regarding coin dates and weights to recognize the value of junk silver?
Most older people will recognize it, but you might want to keep some printed copies of coin specs around just in case.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:04 am

i think people would learn it pretty fast, plus black market money exchanges are likely to be a boom business..
- there is always bullion coin silver as an easier to recognize option.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:19 am

Desert wrote::) Great list (I won't comment on my massive stash of condoms).
"There must be some mistake. I wanted to reserve a bunch of condos!"
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 am

I made the Big Buy (for me) of two 10 oz bars yesterday, too bad those statements were made about weakening the US Dollar, which spiked gold. That's how it goes. I'm getting close to what I consider minimal portfolio insurance, 5% gold. Goal is 10% (per Jim Rickards). When I hit 5% in a few weeks I'm going to become more selective once again about price, and try to fish for $1000-$1100. I do have a position in miners PSAU so if gold spikes up wildly up, I'll sell my miner stock and buy physical. At 10% I'll go to sleep, unless gold gets ridiculous, like Harry S. Dent ridiculous ($250-$700), at which case I might even go for Golden Butterfly (20%) or Permanent Portfolio (25%) allocations. It all depends on price, and it may be partly ETF, for trading.
Last edited by ochotona on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:00 am

You've got two lucky children.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:01 am

dualstow wrote:You've got two lucky children.
I am a lucky Father! Two great kids. All grown up.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Got the bars, and very pleased with them.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:35 pm

If, say, 10 years from now gold triples in value, will you feel nervous about transporting them?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 pm

dualstow wrote:If, say, 10 years from now gold triples in value, will you feel nervous about transporting them?
I chose the bank with great care... I will come and go prepared for whatever because they don't abridge my rights. It's a sleepy little Texas town. Nothing happens there. Also “This is the only bank in the United States that didn’t close for the Roosevelt Bank holiday, and our customers’ like that just fine.”

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/04/ ... -ever-did/

If / when they get it up and running, and depending on the cost, I may use the future Texas Gold Depository.