Complete list of bullion?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Complete list of bullion?

Post by dualstow »

Has anyone got a comprehensive list of bullion coins & countries?
Besides the few obvious ones that keep coming up, I look at things like gold Britannias. Clearly bullion on the site I'm looking at. Not a proof coin.

However, I don't have an official list. Have we ever made one?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Complete list of bullion?

Post by FarmerD »

I'd consider any coin with a buy/sell differential of 20-30 dollars an appropriate purchase. That would include:

USA - Eagle
USA - Buffalo (24 carat)
Austria - philharmonic (24 carat)
South Africa - Krugerrand
Canada - Maple (24 carat)

The Austrian 100 Corona and Mexican 50 Peso are the cheapest coins per weight but the sell back price is also lower. Keep in mind the Corona is only 0.96 ounces while the Mexican 50 peso is 1.2 ounces. Normally these two coins sell for a slightly higher buy/sell difference but it seems like they are frequently are on sale. Items such as the Chinese Panda, Australian Kangeroo, British Britannia, and the British Sovereign almost always carry a much higher buy/sell differential so I'd only buy those on the rare occasion when they are really marked down. Pre-1933 USA gold always carry a big markup.

I enjoy owning a collection of different coins. Though I own mostly Eagles, Buffalos, Maples, Philharmonics, and Krugerrands, I also have bought a fews Kangeroos (at $9 over spot), Coronas (at $7 over spot) and Mexican 50 Pesos (at $5 over spot).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I guess that buy/sell differential would change if the price doubled though, right? Seems like a good starting point, maybe as a %.
I plan to stick to the same ones as you, Farmer D, minus Buffalos and Maples.

I *was* considering ten Britannias, but maybe I should just put those in the one-off category.

Mainly, I don't want to accidentally extend purchases to non-bullion, even if they are an ounce of real gold from a popular mint.

Did not know about the Mexican coin weights. Thank you for that.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Maybe it's just the price above spot that would change -- I currently pay a premium of about $40-50 above spot -- and not the sell/buy spread.

If you go to apmex and type anything in the search box to get it going, then select:
gold
coin (no rounds)
1oz weight
and at the bottom
IRA approved you get the 5 biggies.

Incomplete, though.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

FarmerD wrote:Items such as the Chinese Panda, Australian Kangeroo, British Britannia, and the British Sovereign almost always carry a much higher buy/sell differential so I'd only buy those on the rare occasion when they are really marked down.
Texas Precious Metals sells Australian Kangaroos for the same price as Maple Leafs for 2017 issue, they have for a long time. www.texmetals.com

The Kangaroos don't have that 1099-B reporting requirement.
JohnnyFactor

Post by JohnnyFactor »

I was looking for something like this recently and was satisfied by the Wikipedia list. I'm sure it's not complete but it's pretty comprehensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullion_c ... lion_coins
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That's what I need, thank you!
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD »

ochotona wrote:
FarmerD wrote:Items such as the Chinese Panda, Australian Kangeroo, British Britannia, and the British Sovereign almost always carry a much higher buy/sell differential so I'd only buy those on the rare occasion when they are really marked down.
Texas Precious Metals sells Australian Kangaroos for the same price as Maple Leafs for 2017 issue, they have for a long time. http://www.texmetals.com

The Kangaroos don't have that 1099-B reporting requirement.
Yep, normally Kangeroos sell for about the same price as Maples on most sites. However, you normally have to sell back the Kangeroos at spot whereas Maples pretty much always can be sold back above the spot price, maybe $10-15 over spot. I don't know why - it is what it is.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Strange, my dealer pays $5 more for Kangaroos texmetals.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

There's definitely a discrepancy among dealer prices. At the moment, a krug was selling for 1243 at texmetals, 1242 at ajpm and 1260 at apmex. This last one was for a 2017 coin, so I switched to random year. Still well over $1253 at apmex. Too bad, because it's the most convenient one I've ever used.

Those prices were all for a single coin, no volume discount. Can't think of any other variables.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Whoa, texmetals accepts limit orders. I think They just became my new dealer if I can pay by check.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

dualstow wrote:Whoa, texmetals accepts limit orders. I think They just became my new dealer if I can pay by check.
Yes, you can indeed pay with a paper check! That's how I do it. They are a great shop.

For security they prefer to ship to your city's UPS Customer Center, but they will ship anywhere, but it's on you.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Excellent. Apmex was my most recent dealer because I liked ordering online instead of via telephone, AND paying by check. Texmetals has both of those things covered and, unless it was just a matter of timing my mouse clicks, better prices than Apmex.

I see that the orders are covered by credit card, which probably means that we don't even need to send the funds in advance for a limit
order.

ADDED: Too bad they don't have new 2017 krugs. At least I don't think they do. They don't have a search box.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

dualstow wrote:Excellent. Apmex was my most recent dealer because I liked ordering online instead of via telephone, AND paying by check. Texmetals has both of those things covered and, unless it was just a matter of timing my mouse clicks, better prices than Apmex.

I see that the orders are covered by credit card, which probably means that we don't even need to send the funds in advance for a limit
order.

ADDED: Too bad they don't have new 2017 krugs. At least I don't think they do. They don't have a search box.
When the limit order hits, or if you place an online order, they place a hold on your credit card, then when your check arrives, the drop the hold. No charges to your card. For big orders, of course you can send a wire to them.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote:Excellent. Apmex was my most recent dealer because I liked ordering online instead of via telephone, AND paying by check. Texmetals has both of those things covered and, unless it was just a matter of timing my mouse clicks, better prices than Apmex.

order.

Do the new ones look any different from the old ones? I don't know anyone who collects krugs by date. :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 wrote:Do the new ones look any different from the old ones? I don't know anyone who collects krugs by date. :)
I know it's a rhetorical question, but I'll answer anyway.

I used to buy random year coins, several at a time. Started with krugerrands, which were quite filthy, but I didn't know any better.
When I switched dealers, one dealer only had eagles. I told him random year was fine, but he ended up giving me new ones at the same price. They were quite good looking, and not just because of the different non-gold metal composition.

Finally, I bought some new silver coins and a new maple. Now, I realize even new krugs are yellowish due to the copper content, and as far as I know, they don't have the anticounterfeiting lines that some of the other 2017 mintages have. BUT, now that I'm only buying a coin at a time, and trying different countries, I may as well get shiny 2017 ones. I'll take better care of them than whoever previously owned by my old krugs.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Checked prices again this morning. While there's still a big difference in the price of a krug between the two vendors, a new ('17) Austrian phil is just US$1 more than a random year one at texmetals, so it does depend on which country's bullion you buy.

I'm relieved. Want to buy from both stores.
dualstow wrote:There's definitely a discrepancy among dealer prices. At the moment, a krug was selling for 1243 at texmetals, 1242 at ajpm and 1260 at apmex. This last one was for a 2017 coin, so I switched to random year. Still well over $1253 at apmex. Too bad, because it's the most convenient one I've ever used.

Those prices were all for a single coin, no volume discount. Can't think of any other variables.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 wrote:Do the new ones look any different from the old ones? I don't know anyone who collects krugs by date. :)
Additionally, the S.African mint is putting out a 50th anniversary krugerrand, but I doubt the privy mark is worth the premium. Time will tell.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Knorr makes a killer boullion.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

dragoncar wrote:Knorr makes a killer boullion.
A cube is a nice compact wealth form factor. ;)
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD »

ochotona wrote:
dualstow wrote:Whoa, texmetals accepts limit orders. I think They just became my new dealer if I can pay by check.
They are a great shop.

Yep, they're located in Shiner Texas right across the street from the Shiner Bock Brewery.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Btw, ocho, your PM reply was deleted before I had the chance to read it, so I'll ask here:
If you buy a coin every month, how do you store seal it? Those single air-tite cases? Slowly filling a ten-coin tube? Other?
I've got some air-tites on the way here for testing. I don't know if they look good or not.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

dualstow wrote:Btw, ocho, your PM reply was deleted before I had the chance to read it, so I'll ask here:
If you buy a coin every month, how do you store seal it? Those single air-tite cases? Slowly filling a ten-coin tube? Other?
I've got some air-tites on the way here for testing. I don't know if they look good or not.
I jut use those soft coin flips. But it is important to keep 99.99% gold coins from contacting other coins and bouncing, they mar up really easily.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Ok, thanks. So far my only tubes are of the harder coins.