Source for Daily Gold Price?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Source for Daily Gold Price?

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:22 am

I usually go to goldprice.org for current prices and onlygold's site for historical prices, but the latter had a power failure on Friday.
Does anyone know where I can find historical daily quotes? Not charts, but actual numbers, something akin to historical stock prices at yahoo finance.
Thanks. (And yes, I shouldn't be looking so often).
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Source for Daily Gold Price?

Post by MediumTex » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 am

Kitco seems to have everything.  I don't know if that includes daily historical prices.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Wonk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Wonk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:41 am

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:02 am

That's perfect, Wonk. Thank you!

mt, I use kitco as another source for today's prices {in google docs}, but if they have historical data aside from charts, I didn't see it.
hogtied
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by hogtied » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:00 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

hogtied wrote: I go here:  http://www.ajpm.com/gold-bullion.html
I check that too, or used to: It's where I bought my coins. However, I don't think they show spot. Just their own prices.
(It's funny to think that the price to buy an ounce there is now $100 dollars above my average price paid when I began buying just a few months ago. If I sold there, the profit would just be something like $20 per coin. I've got to get in on this coin dealing business).
Also, I noticed that the price difference between American Eagles and Krugs at AJPM is greater on some days than on others.  ??? Today, the price is the same.
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Dualstow,

Wow.  Those spreads are large.  I hadn't looked at coin prices in a while.  It's definitely a good time to be in the coin business.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 am

MediumTex wrote: Wow.  Those spreads are large.  I hadn't looked at coin prices in a while.  It's definitely a good time to be in the coin business.
Now that I've heard good things about Tulving on this forum, I think I'm going to switch to them. It'll be a while before I can meet the 20-oz minimum, but
it looks like they barely charge above spot.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:01 pm

I need to tear myself away from the price of gold at this point. It seems to be up more than 2% at the moment. Just today.
As with caffeine in my system, I would be less jittery with a more gradual increase.
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:32 pm

dualstow wrote: I need to tear myself away from the price of gold at this point. It seems to be up more than 2% at the moment. Just today.
As a guy who is only supposed to look once a month, I saw this in the news online, and fell off the "check once a month" wagon, because I wanted to see how LT bonds responded, thinking I may need to buy. Why on earth were they up as well?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:00 am

6 Iron wrote:
dualstow wrote: I need to tear myself away from the price of gold at this point. It seems to be up more than 2% at the moment. Just today.
As a guy who is only supposed to look once a month, I saw this in the news online, and fell off the "check once a month" wagon, because I wanted to see how LT bonds responded, thinking I may need to buy. Why on earth were they up as well?
If Greece, Ireland or someone else defaults out of the blue, it would be good for gold and treasuries.

I think we are seeing tremors that will probably culminate in a default in the next few months.

A Syrian civil war would also be good for gold and treasuries.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:09 pm

dualstow wrote: Now that I've heard good things about Tulving on this forum, I think I'm going to switch to them.
A bit off topic, but before switching to Tulving, look at the BBB rating (F). Anyone not concerned about this?
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:31 pm

this is the reasons they (the bbb) gave for the rating...

Accreditation
This business is not a BBB Accredited Business.

Factors that lowered this business's rating include:
Failure to respond to 1 complaint(s) filed against business BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made at least two requests for background information from business. BBB has not received a response from business and/or has not been able to verify information received from business.

Factors that raised this business's rating include:
Length of time business has been operating Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size

Our complaint history for this company shows the company gave proper consideration to some complaints presented by the Bureau. However, the company failed to respond to one complaint.  
Last edited by l82start on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 am

l82start wrote: this is the reasons they (the bbb) gave for the rating...

Accreditation
This business is not a BBB Accredited Business.

Factors that lowered this business's rating include:
Failure to respond to 1 complaint(s) filed against business BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made at least two requests for background information from business. BBB has not received a response from business and/or has not been able to verify information received from business.
Thanks. Sounds trivial but it still concerns me, especially when dealing with large transactions. I'd rather not deal with a business with 4 complaints over 36 months, history of not responding to complaints, failure to provide background information, and numerous complaints among discussion forums elsewhere on the internet. I'd rather stick with a BBB certified and well rated company (e.g., apmex, ajpm, colorado gold, or CNI/golddealer).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun May 01, 2011 10:53 am

BearBones wrote:
dualstow wrote: Now that I've heard good things about Tulving on this forum, I think I'm going to switch to them.
A bit off topic, but before switching to Tulving, look at the BBB rating (F). Anyone not concerned about this?
Yikes. I am concerned, now that you brought the rating to my attention. I suppose the argument could be made that they didn't pay to play at the BBB, but for all its faults, the BBB have not become extortionists on the level of Jesse Jackson. I think they serve an important role and I do pay attention to their ratings. It is only because people here seem to like Tulving that I didn't think to look at the rating. Didn't do my due diligence. Frankly, the only thing that gave me pause was the look of the website. I kept thinking to myself, Am I prepared to pay for 20 oz all at once from a website that smacks of geocities?
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby » Sun May 01, 2011 12:07 pm

In 1990, Tulving was charged by the FTC of running a Ponzi scheme to defraud customers. Around the same time PCGS was also charged by the FTC for failing to live up to advertising claims that it graded coins on an objective basis. Tulving and PCGS denied the accusations saying that had proof to show otherwise:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-08-17/ ... nzi-scheme

Seems like Tulving settled. I don't know enough about the situation to comment.

I used Tulving once for my non-numimatic bullion purchase. I got everything I was supposed to get and I tested everything with my Fisch tool. I would use them again for bullion. I'm not convinced they are defrauding their customers, but the complaints are certainly a concern.

I think I wouldn't use Tulving for any rare numismatic purchases, but non-numismatic bullion is a relatively simple transaction for Tulving. If they couldn't do simple 1oz Gold Eagle transactions, they would be out of business.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun May 01, 2011 1:03 pm

i wish i was in a situation where 20+oz all at once purchases were an immediate concern for me  ;D
i don't know how much i would be worried about the BBB rating,  at those buy sizes and gold quantity's i guess i would have to give it some weight even if the BBB has a history of "join for a good rating" complaints. the information on the rating page appears to hint that they aren't the total crooks an F rating might imply...

and they do need to update their web design LOL
Last edited by l82start on Sun May 01, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
AgAuMoney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AgAuMoney » Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

dualstow wrote:
That's perfect, Wonk. Thank you!

mt, I use kitco as another source for today's prices {in google docs}, but if they have historical data aside from charts, I didn't see it.
When you start looking for gold price history, pretty soon you have to ask which gold price?

One canonical source is the London Bullion Market Association daily fix (twice a day for gold, once for silver).  They have prices readily available back to 1968:  http://www.lbma.org.uk/stats/goldfixg  http://www.lbma.org.uk/stats/silvfixg

I think I've seen the LBMA price history on Kitco too, but I don't have a link saved.

The best site I've found:  http://measuringworth.com/gold/  has much more data.  They have the British Official Price for 1257 to 1945, the U.S. Official Price from 1786 (this is the one that was fixed at $20.67, then $35 in 1934 and now $42), the New York market price from 1791, and the London market price (aka LBMA) from 1718.  They also have a good explanatory information re. data sources.

Also re. historical prices...  The St Louis Fed website has an interesting document concerning the late 1960's price suppression efforts (when the market prices for gold started to exceed the official U.S. price) and the resulting two-tier gold price system, the failure of which led to Nixon abandoning U.S. dollar convertibility.
Wonk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Wonk » Wed May 04, 2011 1:49 pm

I have a new experience with Tulving to report, but since this thread started as a source for the gold price I will begin a new thread for it.