Tax loss harvest GTU?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tax loss harvest GTU?

Post by BearBones » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Still pondering this Sprott exchange for Central Gold Trust shares. Like many of you, my GTU is down, ripe for a tax loss harvest. If I exchange for PHYS, will I lose the capital losses? If not, sure would be nice to take the "free money" some of you have alluded to, then sell PHYS after 30 days and buy back GTU.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tax loss harvest GTU?

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:43 pm

You don't have accept the exchange to do that. You can sell GTU and buy PHYS.
As for Sprott, I don't like their total lack of transparency on exactly what they are doing.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:09 pm

I know. But if the capital losses were somehow carried between GTU and PHYS in their exchange, then I could simultaneously capture the losses AND the difference in discounts (the "free money" talked about in the corresponding thread).
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:20 am

BearBones wrote: I know. But if the capital losses were somehow carried between GTU and PHYS in their exchange, then I could simultaneously capture the losses AND the difference in discounts (the "free money" talked about in the corresponding thread).
I don't see how exchanging is different from buying and selling in this regard. Can you explain what you see as the difference?

Also, the "free money" is already on offer in the reduced discount for GTU after the takeover attempt and their announcing that you will be able to sell units back to them at a 5% discount to NAV if you want to.