CEF a steal at 9% discount

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

coinstar
Associate Member
Associate Member

CEF a steal at 9% discount

Post by coinstar »

The closed end fund CEF looks like a steal at 9% discount to NAV. I bought some on Friday for my VP since I think gold and silver are both underpriced. Especially given the 9% discount, it seems incredible.

I've been considering buying some physical silver (for fun and a little VP play) and been watching the silver markets the last few months. Lately, there's a shortage of physical silver and the premiums on physical silver have shot up enormously. We're talking 20% premiums on 1 ounce coins WHEN you can find them. Even 100 ounce bars are going at a 10% premium. I've also been following precious metal deals on the internet and even though gold has dropped $100 an ounce in the last few months or so, the number of deals have sharply declined in the last few weeks. It used to be that there'd be a special for american gold eagles at $20 above spot. Now the "deal", when they even offer them, is $50 above spot. Seems like physical metals are in demand and paper metals are taking a dive. Which is likely to mean paper assets will follow in suit, upwards.

Compare these recently hiked premiums for physical to a 9% discount for CEF, which is 60% gold and 40% silver and CEF seems like a steal. If you're willing to hold it until gold and silver go back up, I expect the discount to disappear and you'll gain both the gold/silver increase PLUS the discount-related gain.

Given what happened with GTU recently, it's possible CEF will be forced into a 5% discount redemption policy as well, which will instantly reduce the discount from 9% to 5%, as it did with GTU. Also, if silver shoots up, we can see a premium to the NAV, as happened a few years ago in CEF.

On a side note, if you like conspiracy theories (and I do!!) there's talk that JPMorgan and other banks have been naked short selling paper gold and silver in an attempt to manipulate the price down. That can only last so long...
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: CEF a steal at 9% discount

Post by mathjak107 »

as the saying goes  , markets can remain  irrational a lot longer than many can remain solvent waiting.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

mathjak107 wrote: as the saying goes  , markets can remain  irrational a lot longer than many can remain solvent waiting.
I can remain solvent indefinitely.
However, it's also not that hard to imagine that someone would take a run at CEF the way they have at GTU, or maybe the managers of CEF will head that off by preemptively allowing cash redemption at 5% discount to NAV, the way they have at GTU.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I just cashed out most of my GTU to get the tax loss, and bought CEF with the proceeds. Maybe someone will take a run at CEF too, so I can get the discount-narrowing bump. :P