Will the gold market survive the atomic-scale personal manufacturing future?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Will the gold market survive the atomic-scale personal manufacturing future?

Post by l82start »

with the exception of coins that were slabbed before the invention of nanoprinting how will you tell a coin (printed atom by atom) from a minted one? i would think the printer would be able to create/ build-in every detail left by the minting process in atomically accurate detail? possibly including effects of aging and wear.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will the gold market survive the atomic-scale personal manufacturing future?

Post by Libertarian666 »

MachineGhost wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: You've lost me. Why would 3D nanoprinting affect the value of a bullion gold coin?
No intrinsic value beyond the gold atoms?  Unlike natural diamonds which have flaws to tell them apart from synthetic, how are you going to tell a bar of nanosynthetic gold bullion apart from the genuine article?  With gold coins -- especially [semi]numismatic -- there's intrinsic value beyond just the gold atoms.
There isn't any such thing as nanosynthetic gold bullion. Other than that, I see your point. :P