Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Any fans of the Gold Rush reality TV series?  Wife and I have watched the past 3 seasons.  Man, you get the impression that there is still an awful lot of gold to be mined in the Yukon.
Stay free, my friends.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel

Post by l82start » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:00 pm

i have watched a couple seasons, interesting watching their progress from amateurs to miners.. there is a lot of reality show dramatization and questionable time pressure to make it more dramatic, but all in all its entertaining..

i took a tour down a California gold rush era underground gold mine a couple/few years ago, and the tour guide mentioned that they were in the process of gearing up to start mining again in addition to being a tourist attraction.. according to him there was still thousands of times as much gold still un-mined under the sierras than the entire amount dug up during the CA gold rush era. the reason CA isn't being mined not being a shortage of gold but a cost/difficulty of extraction compared to market value. i expect a similar situation exists in Alaska, once the big nuggets and rich veins are scooped up at or near the surface you need a higher value to make it economical to go after the rest. 
Last edited by l82start on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mike59

Re: Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel

Post by Mike59 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:00 pm

I caught most of the first season and was frustrated for them spending all that dough and time with no luck. Good to hear they are finding some finally, I'll have to start watching again.
"Thanks, give me the gold" - Kyle Bass