Buy Gold Coins At Spot

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Buy Gold Coins At Spot

Post by FarmerD »

In case anyone is interested - I checked Gainesville Coin website this afternoon and I see they are selling Austrian 100 Corona coins for spot.  Normally these coins go for about $10-14 over spot.

FYI - these coins contain 0.96 oz gold and normally you can sell them for a little under spot so they have a buy/sell delta that's better than Eagles, Buffalos, phils, etc.  Although they are not as well known as Eagles, Buffalos, or Maples, as long as Provident Metals, Apmex, CNI, and Gainesville buy and sell them, I feel comfortable having some. 
Last edited by FarmerD on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Buy Gold Coins At Spot

Post by WildAboutHarry »

I like them too, just be ready for a 1.5" diameter "wafer thin" coin.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD »

WildAboutHarry wrote: I like them too, just be ready for a 1.5" diameter "wafer thin" coin.
They're basically the same size as the Philharmonic.  You might be thinking of the Austrian Ducat which is tin foil thin which is why I wouldn't buy them. 

FYI - There are actually two versions of this coin:  the Austrian Corona and the much more rare Hungarian Corona.  Both coins have the same metal composition, weight, and size, and price, but the Hungarian coin features a full standing Emperor Franz Joseph on one side then on the opposing side there is a shield with all the coats of arms of the old empire being held by two angels.  The coin is stamped with the year 1909.  The Hungarian version is the most beautiful gold coin I've seen. 
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Right you are.  The ducats are very thin.  Not quite "tin-foil thin" though :)
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

FarmerD wrote: In case anyone is interested - I checked Gainesville Coin website this afternoon and I see they are selling Austrian 100 Corona coins for spot.
Certainly Gainesville Coin is not giving away gold coins as an act of charity.

Something smells fishy here. Caveat emptor, y'all.
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD »

goodasgold wrote:
FarmerD wrote: In case anyone is interested - I checked Gainesville Coin website this afternoon and I see they are selling Austrian 100 Corona coins for spot.
Certainly Gainesville Coin is not giving away gold coins as an act of charity.

Something smells fishy here. Caveat emptor, y'all.
Usually Corona's sell for about $10-14 above spot.  You can sell them back for about $15 BELOW spot.  That's how they and every other dealer makes money on them.  It's always been a low premium coin. 
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

FarmerD wrote: In case anyone is interested - I checked Gainesville Coin website this afternoon and I see they are selling Austrian 100 Corona coins for spot.  Normally these coins go for about $10-14 over spot.

FYI - these coins contain 0.96 oz gold and normally you can sell them for a little under spot so they have a buy/sell delta that's better than Eagles, Buffalos, phils, etc.  Although they are not as well known as Eagles, Buffalos, or Maples, as long as Provident Metals, Apmex, CNI, and Gainesville buy and sell them, I feel comfortable having some.
Actually, they contain .98 troy ounces.  I like the fact that they are an alloy, 90% gold 10% copper.  I also like that I can get a good sense of their buy sell spread at CNI .... www.golddealer.com.  But I don't buy them because I prefer the Krugerrands and Eagles.  But I have one.  My ancestors come from the old Austian Hungarian Empire.