Gold Coin Balance Fooled by fake gold Eagle

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jco
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Gold Coin Balance Fooled by fake gold Eagle

Post by jco » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:35 pm

I think slabbed are not ideal as there are numerous fake slabs known. Besides it puts a barrier between you and measuring the density, dimensions and sound.
FarmerD wrote:
Some gold dealer shows some fake Eagles that came into his store.  These are pretty good fakes.  Scary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P1h6uXDACY
Crank the resolution to 1080, I could easily tell that was a fake the first second I saw it... While it is a little disturbing that the density and dimensions are *allegedly* accurate, that fake looks terrible... Like all the others I've seen. Still, how far off can good ones be.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Six years later anyone have concerns in this area?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 am

tomfoolery wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:14 pm
So my answer is look for 99.9999% coins like maple leaves or philharmonics. I did buy a philharmonic once but because it’s too wide it wouldn’t fit into air tite tubes. Also I like that the maple leaves are Canadian money and living in the US I may flee to Canada in a crisis. I won’t be able to flee to Europe. If I lived in Europe I’d get philharmonics.
I’m sure you can get tubes that fit Philharmonics. In fact, mine came in a tube. Unless you specifically mean the Air-Tite brand. I’m not positive about that, but I’m going to look it up.

EDIT: https://www.onfireguy.com/capsule-tube- ... harmonics/

Also, if it came down to having to use gold in a crisis, I don’t think Canada would be prejudiced against Phils or Krugs or anything.

For any newbies: I think the best way to go is still to buy coins that are hardened with a little non-gold metal. Buy from a reputable dealer.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years