Where and how do you purchase physical gold?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where and how do you purchase physical gold?

Post by ppnewbie » Fri May 13, 2022 10:30 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 am
ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 pm
Personally, if I can get fractional coins for the same premium as 1 oz I go for those.
I might, too, but i buy from Apmex and the premium is way higher for fractional there.
I started when I was in full zombie apocalypse mode thinking that fractional would be easier to trade but now just try to add some if it’s cheap. Which like you said does not really happen much. I did pass up an opportunity to buy maple grams at the same premium as an eagle. I kick myself for that one.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 am

dualstow wrote:
ppnewbie wrote:
Personally, if I can get fractional coins for the same premium as 1 oz I go for those.
I might, too, but i buy from Apmex and the premium is way higher for fractional there.
Do not think its only Apmex that sell fractional at premium, think that's pretty much the case everywhere .. :D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 pm

I would assume the same, Vil. The only thing I knew for sure was that ppnewbie was not using Apmex. O0
Inconsequential: the 1/4 oz eagle I bought using bitcoin from this forum did feel good. Should have spent more.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Fri May 13, 2022 12:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 pm
I would assume the same, Vil. The only thing I knew for sure was that ppnewbie was not using Apmex. O0
Inconsequential: the 1/4 oz eagle I bought using bitcoin from this forum did feel good. Should have spent more.
I do not have eagles at all, should buy some, some day. To be honest I rarely feel the satisfaction of contemplating single coin (regardless of the type, mint, etc.); what makes me smile is to feel the weight of all the coins ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 13, 2022 12:34 pm

You may enjoy it, but every time a banker remarks that my box is “heavy”, I get nervous! :D

You’ve given me an idea. I think Budd should buy bars and have them melted into hand weights! 💥
I find the weight of a one-ounce coin pleasant.

At this moment I see an 1809 spot price and would love to buy more, but I don’t think i’m going to be home to receive it. Too bad. Will it be closer to 1700 or 1900 when I return home and feel safe to buy?
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm

Vil wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 am
dualstow wrote:
ppnewbie wrote:
Do not think its only Apmex that sell fractional at premium, think that's pretty much the case everywhere .. :D
The fractional stuff I got from my local coin shop. I got the fraction by buying these from the local shop

https://www.jmbullion.com/4-coin-proof- ... le-set-vy/

Also occasionally, Vacambi combibars show up on Apmex for a low premium. I have an unhealthy fixation on those. And I did notice a while back (before the Ukraine invasion) that some nice 10 gram bars were at a 6% premium. Did not pull the trigger on those either.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 13, 2022 1:13 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm
The fractional stuff I got from my local coin shop. I got the fraction by buying these from the local shop
The bullion version not the proof version, right?
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri May 13, 2022 1:22 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:13 pm
ppnewbie wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm
The bullion version not the proof version, right?
I was buying the proof versions because of "more shininess" - Like I said it was before this market craziness and I had a good relationship with my local coin shop. After covid, they got a little weird. And the prices on those sets spiked.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 13, 2022 1:37 pm

The only proof coin I bought was pre-pp.
if I recall correctly from Harry Browne’s books, Rowland and Lawson’s (Craigr and Medium Tex) book, etc. you’re supposed to buy bullion. Proof coins are more like collectibles, no?
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri May 13, 2022 1:48 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:37 pm
The only proof coin I bought was pre-pp.
if I recall correctly from Harry Browne’s books, Rowland and Lawson’s (Craigr and Medium Tex) book, etc. you’re supposed to buy bullion. Proof coins are more like collectibles, no?
My mental calculations - Same exact amount of gold, I got some fractional in the bargain, more shininess, I get a certificate of authenticity, and nice cases and the premium was nearly the same as a regular coin. I cant see it ever going below a standard eagle premium and in this case they are going way above that at the moment, but I don't really care about that. Basically, no downside in my estimation.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 13, 2022 5:30 pm

I haven’t checked the value on my proof Buffalo in ages. I should.