Exploring Gold Ownership Options

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mbh

Exploring Gold Ownership Options

Post by mbh »

I've been running a PP for about 3 years.  The one thing I've struggled with is how to own gold.  Up until now, I've owned gold ETFs in tax advantaged accounts (Roth, IRA, profit sharing plan).  Since gold doesn't throw off interest or dividends, I know that I shouldn't be using up valuable tax advantaged space for gold.  The main reason I've been doing it is because I'm not completely comfortable with the other options. 

Some of my biggest concerns have to do with owning gold in various stages of life.  For example, I think I could manage just about any option now, but what about when I'm 85?  What happens if I die young?  What if I develop dementia later in life?  Will my wife or heirs be able to manage things? 

I'm wondering if others on this forum have thought about these issues?  If so, what have you concluded is the best way of owning gold for the long run (i.e., including cases in which you personally might not be around or able to manage things)? I should add that in my case, my wife has very little interest in financial matters.

For those of you who do use (or have strongly considered using) the Perth Mint, how much of your gold allocation (%) would you feel comfortable placing in Perth Mint Certificates or the Perth Mint Depository program?  50%?  75%?  All of it?

For those familiar with the Perth Mint options, processes and so on, which of the two options (certificate program or depository program) would be better/easier for a non-financial spouse or heirs to deal with if I'm no longer part of the picture?

For those of you who use GTU, how much of your gold allocation (%) would you feel comfortable placing in GTU?

Thanks.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Exploring Gold Ownership Options

Post by Libertarian666 »

I think global gold (listed in the PP book) has the best model overall for those "lucky" enough to be US persons who have great difficulty with the otherwise preferable foreign bank accounts. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my analysis.
bronsuchecki

Post by bronsuchecki »

mbh wrote:For those familiar with the Perth Mint options, processes and so on, which of the two options (certificate program or depository program) would be better/easier for a non-financial spouse or heirs to deal with if I'm no longer part of the picture?
The advantage of the Certificate program is that your heirs will have a local dealer to help them through the process, but they will charge a fee. If you have over $250,000 there are no fees with a Depository program account, but your heir will have to deal directly with the Perth Mint in our timezone.
Disclosure: I work for the Perth Mint. What I say is done in a personal capacity and is not endorsed by the Mint.
bubulac

Post by bubulac »

mbh wrote: I've been running a PP for about 3 years.  The one thing I've struggled with is how to own gold.  Up until now, I've owned gold ETFs in tax advantaged accounts (Roth, IRA, profit sharing plan).  Since gold doesn't throw off interest or dividends, I know that I shouldn't be using up valuable tax advantaged space for gold.  The main reason I've been doing it is because I'm not completely comfortable with the other options. 

Some of my biggest concerns have to do with owning gold in various stages of life.  For example, I think I could manage just about any option now, but what about when I'm 85?  What happens if I die young?  What if I develop dementia later in life?  Will my wife or heirs be able to manage things? 

I'm wondering if others on this forum have thought about these issues?  If so, what have you concluded is the best way of owning gold for the long run (i.e., including cases in which you personally might not be around or able to manage things)? I should add that in my case, my wife has very little interest in financial matters.

For those of you who do use (or have strongly considered using) the Perth Mint, how much of your gold allocation (%) would you feel comfortable placing in Perth Mint Certificates or the Perth Mint Depository program?  50%?  75%?  All of it?

For those familiar with the Perth Mint options, processes and so on, which of the two options (certificate program or depository program) would be better/easier for a non-financial spouse or heirs to deal with if I'm no longer part of the picture?

For those of you who use GTU, how much of your gold allocation (%) would you feel comfortable placing in GTU?

Thanks.
It's cheapest to just own gold bullion. With gold ETFs you end up paying huge commissions that never stop. It would cost me about 2.8% to purchase and hold gold coins for 30 years, 14-25% of the same to own a gold ETF for 30 years.