Doom, Gloom and Zoom Zoom

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Doom, Gloom and Zoom Zoom

Post by buddtholomew »

Let me set the stage. I had 245# on incline bench press and had completed my 7th rep when it struck me.

1. Sell a portion of GLD in taxable to reduce ordinary income by 3K.
2. Exchange equivalent amount of GDX in tax-deferred for GTU to avoid the wash sale.

I checked the NAV for each holding and noticed that GLD and GTU were oscillating between positive and negative and GDX was down 3+ percent. If I transacted as planned above, my results would have been the following:

Trade: Sell GDX down 3%, GLD down .23% and buy GTU down .19%
EOD Result: GDX down .22%, GLD up .48%, GTU up .54%

Net Result: -2.78% (doom), -.71% (gloom), +.73% (zoom, zoom).

Seemed like a lot of work so I added some weight and performed the next set...Its interesting what our minds come up with even when engaged in strenuous activities. Anyway, I posted this mental exercise and outcome for those that plan to TLH before year's end.  :o
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Doom, Gloom and Zoom Zoom

Post by Reub »

Don't hurt yourself with all of this heavy lifting!
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I hate repetition at work and many other areas of my life, with the exception of weightlifting. I have been a competitor in the sport for over 22 years (17-39). If you are referring to mental exertion, then yes, that is enough thinking for one morning.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I made an avatar for you. I can crop it if necessary.
🍍
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

dualstow wrote: I made an avatar for you. I can crop it if necessary.
That would be splendid. I would wear it with pride.  :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Hmm, I can't see the required dimensions without replacing my own avatar.
Does anyone remember what they are? 90 x 90 pixels?
🍍
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I cropped and uploaded the avatar. Thanks!!
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

As a personal note, I do recommend weight lifting for all seniors over 60 years of age.  It a lot cheaper than buying LONG TERM NURSING CARE.  It gives you the best chance to be able to stay in your own home until you die.  You won't build much muscle but you can look good and maintain a whole lot of strength.  Then three days a week you get on the treadmill with a heart monitor and stay in the 85% or 90% range of your age.

A check on your progress is to be able to dance on each leg for 4 minutes for a total of 8 minutes.  Most grandchildren will start to beat you when they are 12 years of age.  And than they are set for life also. 
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Thanks for the tip on weighlifting.  I'm only 47, but I remember my physician father recommending to start weightlifting at least by 55 to limit muscle loss.  I started a few months ago, to go along with the jogging which I've always done.  I hate most of the weightlifting, but what you said about being able to stay in my own home without a lot of help is a great incentive.  Thanks for mentioning that.  Do you have any recommendations or resources to provide a list of exercises to cover the various muscle groups?
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

Budd is the man to give you help.  I think he is lifting more that his body weight.  For me I own a Cybex gym for over 20 years.  I like to be able to see my little fellow so I do 5 Abs programs.  I Think Budd will tell you to work on the legs.  As that is the major part to think about.  I don't do squats as that is where you can hurt you self.  Then the normal upper body ones. 
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

buddtholomew wrote: I cropped and uploaded the avatar. Thanks!!
Looking good!
Sorry for dropping the ball on that. I should have just tested it on my own.
🍍
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

LOL.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

In case anyone doesn't recognize the image, here's where I took the screengrab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro96FnQir44

I grew up watching that clip on tv many times over the years.
🍍
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

stuper1 wrote: Thanks for the tip on weighlifting.  I'm only 47, but I remember my physician father recommending to start weightlifting at least by 55 to limit muscle loss.  I started a few months ago, to go along with the jogging which I've always done.  I hate most of the weightlifting, but what you said about being able to stay in my own home without a lot of help is a great incentive.  Thanks for mentioning that.  Do you have any recommendations or resources to provide a list of exercises to cover the various muscle groups?
I think most of my present program was taken from Training for Life Experience.    http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

I do upper body and lower body on the same day.  The next day I run.  The third day I rest.  Then I repeat the program.  If you do their 90 day program you can achieve a very good result.  If you hate weightlifting this will seem a lot like HELL.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Novice resistance trainers (weights) should stick to compound movements that build overall body strength. Leg press or squats (if performed correctly place very little stress on the knees), pull-ups or pull-downs (back and biceps), bench press (chest and triceps) and shoulder press. It's similar to the PP in that there are 4 quadrants  ;) Too often, I see teens and those new to the gym spend their 30-45 minutes on forearm curls, calf raises and abs. Dedicate a few minutes to these exercises only after you've completed one or more of the compound movements listed above.

There are as many different routines as investment approaches, but I would urge novice trainers to consider the 5x5 program (5 sets, 5 reps). You increase weight from week to week and can assess progress depending on how much is added. It's a positive feedback loop. Train > Grow Stronger > More Weight.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

dualstow wrote:
Looking good!
Sorry for dropping the ball on that. I should have just tested it on my own.
No worries. Without you, I wouldn't even have an avatar.
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

Thanks for the advice, Buddtholomew.  I should take up weight training, so relating it to the PP has given me some insight.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Budd the stud! Who knew?
jswinner

Post by jswinner »

Hmmm, note to self, don't get Bud mad.....