The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by technovelist » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:58 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:45 pm
Well, gold is back down to earth. I cannot decide if I'd rather have it go up or down at this point.
I think I have achieved nirvana.
$1525 is "back down to earth"? Or are my quotes stale?
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10449
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:21 am

Down to earth but still a good price.
RIP Charlie Daniels
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by technovelist » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:17 pm

$1548.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10449
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 pm

technovelist wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:17 pm
$1548.
Tied with Palladium.
RIP Charlie Daniels
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10449
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:35 pm

1555 says Apmex.
RIP Charlie Daniels
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:40 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by boglerdude » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 am

"The growing demand for gold as a conductive metal used in phones and other electronic products has helped spawn a deadly illegal trade that’s harder to track than other black-market commodities like blood diamonds or drugs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/the- ... ombia.html
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 am

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 am
"The growing demand for gold as a conductive metal used in phones and other electronic products has helped spawn a deadly illegal trade that’s harder to track than other black-market commodities like blood diamonds or drugs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/the- ... ombia.html
If something is illegal, then criminals are the ones who will supply it.
In other news, water is wet.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1811
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:17 am

Once again, all is right with the world, US and China are going to meet...Groundhog Day.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10449
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:17 am
Once again, all is right with the world, US and China are going to meet...Groundhog Day.
Yep, except instead of the same day over and over again, we're alternating between Groundhog Day and....let's call the other one Sweathog Day.
RIP Charlie Daniels
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10449
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 am
"The growing demand for gold as a conductive metal used in phones and other electronic products has helped spawn a deadly illegal trade that’s harder to track than other black-market commodities like blood diamonds or drugs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/the- ... ombia.html
Very interesting!
technovelist wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 am
If something is illegal, then criminals are the ones who will supply it.
In other news, water is wet.
I didn't understand your response to this one tech. In fact, reading up from the bottom of this page, I thought it was about drugs and not gold. Isn't it not a case of something being banned outright, but that there are illegal, unlicensed operations running alongside legal ones? And furthermore, it's happening in an environment where criminals are more powerful than a stable government.

When something becomes very valuable, be it metal, oil, refined coca leaves or a rare and purportedly healthful fungus growing in Asia, criminals are going to get involved, parallel to legal suppliers which may or may not exist.
RIP Charlie Daniels
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3177
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:40 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:17 am
Once again, all is right with the world, US and China are going to meet...Groundhog Day.
Gold and long Treasuries will be under assault for a while...
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:34 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am
boglerdude wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 am
"The growing demand for gold as a conductive metal used in phones and other electronic products has helped spawn a deadly illegal trade that’s harder to track than other black-market commodities like blood diamonds or drugs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/the- ... ombia.html
Very interesting!
technovelist wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 am
If something is illegal, then criminals are the ones who will supply it.
In other news, water is wet.
I didn't understand your response to this one tech. In fact, reading up from the bottom of this page, I thought it was about drugs and not gold. Isn't it not a case of something being banned outright, but that there are illegal, unlicensed operations running alongside legal ones? And furthermore, it's happening in an environment where criminals are more powerful than a stable government.

When something becomes very valuable, be it metal, oil, refined coca leaves or a rare and purportedly healthful fungus growing in Asia, criminals are going to get involved, parallel to legal suppliers which may or may not exist.
My response was to the implication that gold is somehow tainted by the fact that criminals are apparently involved in its extraction in Columbia. This is of course an absurd proposition.
Post Reply