The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 am

Sold more IAU...
Just not worth the agony and the hopium.
Now, 30/15/15/40 working towards 35/15/15/35
Should have done this a decade ago.
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2954
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Ad Orientem » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 pm

If that's what makes you comfortable then go for it. Just stick with whatever asset allocation you decide on. Switching portfolios because you are unhappy with how one asset is performing also means locking in losses.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Hal » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Budd,

Before you stress out too much on Gold, have a listen to Harry.

http://web.archive.org/web/201604021622 ... wne/radio/

Gold talk is dated Sept 19, 2004

Hope you can have a good nights sleep afterwards,
Hal
User avatar
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 pm
If that's what makes you comfortable then go for it. Just stick with whatever asset allocation you decide on. Switching portfolios because you are unhappy with how one asset is performing also means locking in losses.
It’s a tax loss for now and possibly a TLH with rebuy in 31 days.

If gold goes up I still have the lion’s share invested and that should be sufficient.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:40 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by boglerdude » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:04 am

Budd's right, gold is moribund. For centuries it was needed for trade, but now we have fiat. Yes fiat burns up but thats the idea, you're not supposed to hold it. As India evolves, they'll drop gold too. It might still have some utility as a measuring stick.

Edit: Fun story about gold in Iran
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... peculators
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7544
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:59 am

I don’t know, they’ve been saying that for a looong time. Especially every time it’s down.
Good news everyone: AOC and Maxine Waters are going to oversee Wall Street.
All should be well from here on in. O0 #stockscreamroom
🦑
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2208
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:41 am

Look at the price performance of GLDW vs GLD since mid-April 2018. Gold's suck is purely due to the strong US dollar. If you hate gold at this time, you're betting the USD will continue strong . Hmmm... this too shall pass.

The SPDR® Long Dollar Gold Trust (NYSEArca: GLDW) offers investors an innovative way to access the gold market by removing the potential negative influence of a strong U.S. dollar (USD) on the price of gold. GLDW seeks to track the daily performance of a long position in physical gold and a long position in the US dollar against a basket of non-US currencies, including the euro (EUR), Japanese yen (JPY), the British pound (GBP), the Canadian dollar (CAD), the Swedish krona (SEK) and the Swiss franc (CHF). The structure of this ETF effectively provides investors the benefit of owning an exposure to gold as though they had purchased it using a basket of six, non-US dollar currencies.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:00 am

ochotona wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:41 am
Look at the price performance of GLDW vs GLD since mid-April 2018. Gold's suck is purely due to the strong US dollar. If you hate gold at this time, you're betting the USD will continue strong . Hmmm... this too shall pass.

The SPDR® Long Dollar Gold Trust (NYSEArca: GLDW) offers investors an innovative way to access the gold market by removing the potential negative influence of a strong U.S. dollar (USD) on the price of gold. GLDW seeks to track the daily performance of a long position in physical gold and a long position in the US dollar against a basket of non-US currencies, including the euro (EUR), Japanese yen (JPY), the British pound (GBP), the Canadian dollar (CAD), the Swedish krona (SEK) and the Swiss franc (CHF). The structure of this ETF effectively provides investors the benefit of owning an exposure to gold as though they had purchased it using a basket of six, non-US dollar currencies.
Isn't that the whole point of holding gold (HBPP) in the first place?
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2208
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:11 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:00 am
ochotona wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:41 am
Look at the price performance of GLDW vs GLD since mid-April 2018. Gold's suck is purely due to the strong US dollar. If you hate gold at this time, you're betting the USD will continue strong . Hmmm... this too shall pass.

The SPDR® Long Dollar Gold Trust (NYSEArca: GLDW) offers investors an innovative way to access the gold market by removing the potential negative influence of a strong U.S. dollar (USD) on the price of gold. GLDW seeks to track the daily performance of a long position in physical gold and a long position in the US dollar against a basket of non-US currencies, including the euro (EUR), Japanese yen (JPY), the British pound (GBP), the Canadian dollar (CAD), the Swedish krona (SEK) and the Swiss franc (CHF). The structure of this ETF effectively provides investors the benefit of owning an exposure to gold as though they had purchased it using a basket of six, non-US dollar currencies.
Isn't that the whole point of holding gold (HBPP) in the first place?
Yes it is, currency diversification.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1279
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Might as well scream a little. Stocks way up because possible slowing of interest rate hike slowdown and TLT down and gold flat?

I think Budd has it right! :D
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Budd,

Before you stress out too much on Gold, have a listen to Harry.

http://web.archive.org/web/201604021622 ... wne/radio/

Gold talk is dated Sept 19, 2004

Hope you can have a good nights sleep afterwards,
Hal
Good refresh. I like the part somewhere around 25 minutes about supply and DEMAND for cash in regards to inflation.
User avatar
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm
Might as well scream a little. Stocks way up because possible slowing of interest rate hike slowdown and TLT down and gold flat?

I think Budd has it right! :D
Speaking with my actions these days instead of voicing my displeasure. People need to see the light on their own.
Post Reply