The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Xan » Wed May 22, 2013 8:14 am

Whenever you mention that you hold gold in a public forum, it's best to also mention that you lost it in an unfortunate boating accident.
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB » Wed May 22, 2013 8:37 am

Now that is a great way to put it.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:00 am

Xan wrote: Whenever you mention that you hold gold in a public forum, it's best to also mention that you lost it in an unfortunate boating accident.
Yes, it's amazing how negatively that affects one's boating skills.
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 am

"Gold is insurance".

Shut up!
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Is it possible for a bull market like gold to just fizzle like this without a blow off parabolic run? Are there instances when bull markets just fade away like this, or do people think we have already seen the insanity? There were certainly a lot of commercials on TV....dont see those much anymore
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:14 pm

doodle wrote: Is it possible for a bull market like gold to just fizzle like this without a blow off parabolic run? Are there instances when bull markets just fade away like this, or do people think we have already seen the insanity? There were certainly a lot of commercials on TV....dont see those much anymore
It's hard to say.

If you look at the gold bull market of the 1970's, you'll see that there was a 25-30% pullback in 1975/76 before it shot through the roof in 1977-79. 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 pm

AdamA wrote:
doodle wrote: Is it possible for a bull market like gold to just fizzle like this without a blow off parabolic run? Are there instances when bull markets just fade away like this, or do people think we have already seen the insanity? There were certainly a lot of commercials on TV....dont see those much anymore
It's hard to say.

If you look at the gold bull market of the 1970's, you'll see that there was a 25-30% pullback in 1975/76 before it shot through the roof in 1977-79. 

Right. There was a blow-off top. The question is whether there has been in recent history (the last 100 years) a major bull market without a blowoff top where everyone and their brother was jumping in.
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 pm

doodle wrote:
AdamA wrote:
It's hard to say.

Right. There was a blow-off top. The question is whether there has been in recent history (the last 100 years) a major bull market without a blowoff top where everyone and their brother was jumping in.
The top-to-bottom drop in 2008 was about 30% too, but as we now know that wasn't the end of the bull market.

To answer your original question, I have seen exactly zero indications of mass public participation in gold buying this time around. And if this was the end of the bull market, it would be the first time in my knowledge that a bull market in a major asset has ended without mass public participation.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:06 pm

will gold remain above $1,000?  (just sliced thru $1,200)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:43 pm

murphy_p_t wrote: will gold remain above $1,000?  (just sliced thru $1,200)
If I had to guess, I would say "yes", just based on my current nausea level, but who knows?
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:48 pm

GLD assets are now about half of where they were at their peak in 2011! That decline includes not only the drop in gold's price, but also $18.2 billion in net outflows YTD.

From what I've seen, ETFs usually experience net inflows when their share price is climbing and net outflows when their share price is falling--i.e., a lot of people out there buy high and sell low. The recent outflows from GLD are no exception.

Over time, this counterproductive herd behavior is simply a transfer of wealth from the fair-weather investors to the ones who stay the course by rebalancing mechanically or by continuing to buy shares at regular intervals (dollar cost averaging).
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:28 pm

To what degree is the price of gold manipulated? Am I naive in believing in a free market? Many articles posit that the recent decline in gold has been manufactured by the fed to serve some purpose. Does the US want to return Germany's gold reserves at the lowest possible price? Interested to hear other's thoughts on the subject.

Is it possible that I am a "gold bug" in the making? I don't own a tin hat nor do I have a bunker in the back yard  :)
Last edited by buddtholomew on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:46 am

buddtholomew wrote: To what degree is the price of gold manipulated? Am I naive in believing in a free market? Many articles posit that the recent decline in gold has been manufactured by the fed to serve some purpose. Does the US want to return Germany's gold reserves at the lowest possible price? Interested to hear other's thoughts on the subject.

Is it possible that I am a "gold bug" in the making? I don't own a tin hat nor do I have a bunker in the back yard  :)
I would say that if the price of gold is manipulated in order to keep it down, the manipulators have failed miserably over the last 12 years.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

MediumTex wrote:
buddtholomew wrote: To what degree is the price of gold manipulated? Am I naive in believing in a free market? Many articles posit that the recent decline in gold has been manufactured by the fed to serve some purpose. Does the US want to return Germany's gold reserves at the lowest possible price? Interested to hear other's thoughts on the subject.

I would say that if the price of gold is manipulated in order to keep it down, the manipulators have failed miserably over the last 12 years.
My guess is that the manipulation has been to make the price fluctuate violently so as to scare people off from buying and/or shake out the weak hands who have already bought.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 pm

MediumTex wrote:

I'm not referring to the last 12 years, but rather recent economic events whereby fed's policy would benefit from a drop in gold prices.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
MediumTex wrote:

I'm not referring to the last 12 years, but rather recent economic events whereby fed's policy would benefit from a drop in gold prices.
But wouldn't the Fed's QE policies have also been aided by gold drops in 2009, 2010 and 2011?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:56 pm

If the fed isn't manipulating the gold market, it would the only market they aren't manipulating. I guess that is possible but it doesn't seem very likely.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:16 pm

dualstow wrote: Has anyone else seen this?
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=115027
Ok, I read it. So?
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:32 pm

they all seem to be promoting bail at the "bottom"/sell now,  funny i thought that was contrary to boglehead thinking and sound investment strategy
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 pm

l82start wrote: they all seem to be promoting bail at the "bottom"/sell now,  funny i thought that was contrary to boglehead thinking and sound investment strategy
But most of those guys hated gold the whole time (or at least said they did).
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Did that guy put all of his money into gold?
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:36 pm

MediumTex wrote:
l82start wrote: they all seem to be promoting bail at the "bottom"/sell now,  funny i thought that was contrary to boglehead thinking and sound investment strategy
But most of those guys hated gold the whole time (or at least said they did).
maybe they hate gold so much they are willing to give contrary advice just to see a gold buyer fail, so they can say "I Told You So"
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 am

Most participants on that board are extremely illogical when it comes to gold. As we know, the evidence shows that it reduces variance in the portfolio while not hurting CAGR. But they have a visceral hate for gold nonetheless, which is another piece of evidence for the odd psychology of investing even among many of those who claim to be guided by reason.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:06 am

Libertarian666 wrote: Most participants on that board are extremely illogical when it comes to gold. As we know, the evidence shows that it reduces variance in the portfolio while not hurting CAGR. But they have a visceral hate for gold nonetheless, which is another piece of evidence for the odd psychology of investing even among many of those who claim to be guided by reason.
You don't have to love gold to recognize its uses as a tool within a diversified portfolio.

When I look at my toolbox I don't think in terms of being "pro-hammer" or "anti-hammer."  The hammer is just there when I need a hammer.