The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Austen Heller »

When I saw that gold was up over 3% today, I thought to myself 'Damn, that guy Libertarian666 is up huge today!'  You have a bold allocation, I commend you on following your own path.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Austen Heller wrote: When I saw that gold was up over 3% today, I thought to myself 'Damn, that guy Libertarian666 is up huge today!'  You have a bold allocation, I commend you on following your own path.
Thanks! Yes, this was a very good day. Last week was okay, and the week before that was very nice too. I appreciate it all the more after several months of down week after down week.

I will also say that given my terrible record of market timing, I was pretty sure that the bottom was near when I started to feel like I was missing something important and was going to watch my portfolio go down forever.

But then I said to myself:

"Exactly what has been solved that would make gold stay down? Nothing! In fact, the fiscal condition of the US (and most of the rest of the world) is getting worse and worse every day. And contrary to Keynes' claim, I can remain solvent at least as long as markets can remain irrational. So bring it on!"

And sure enough, that was pretty close to the bottom. So being contrarian works even if you are your own contrarian indicator!
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller »

Libertarian666 wrote: Exactly what has been solved that would make gold stay down? Nothing! In fact, the fiscal condition of the US (and most of the rest of the world) is getting worse and worse every day.
Amen brother! And I still cling to my belief that there's a cost of production around $900/ounce, so that forms a price floor, and if we see gold anywhere approaching the $1000 level, it's time to back up the truck.  Beep...beep.....beep
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Austen Heller wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: Exactly what has been solved that would make gold stay down? Nothing! In fact, the fiscal condition of the US (and most of the rest of the world) is getting worse and worse every day.
Amen brother! And I still cling to my belief that there's a cost of production around $900/ounce, so that forms a price floor, and if we see gold anywhere approaching the $1000 level, it's time to back up the truck.  Beep...beep.....beep
My truck has been backed up long ago, mostly at much lower prices. That does make it easier to stay the course...
But if I came into an inheritance or some such, I would definitely be a buyer at these prices.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

annie in another thread wrote:Dennis Gartman says GOLD looksto be headed several hundred dollars higher.
He generally knows about these things.
Next week?
Or perhaps after dropping to 750 for 13 years?

That's what I want to know.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
AlanT

Post by AlanT »

dualstow wrote:
annie in another thread wrote:Dennis Gartman says GOLD looksto be headed several hundred dollars higher.
He generally knows about these things.
Next week?

I'm pretty sure you're just being facetious here, but I don't think we'll ever see $750 gold again.  However, anything close and I'll sell the farm and load up.
Precious Metals, like Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium have always had their place in a well balanced retirement portfolio.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

$750 gold...for any extended period....equals....deflationary winter?!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

AlanT wrote:
dualstow wrote: Next week?

I'm pretty sure you're just being facetious here, but I don't think we'll ever see $750 gold again.  However, anything close and I'll sell the farm and load up.
There's a bit of facetiousness, but I'm making a serious point. Another reason to hold the pp: we just don't know if gold is going to shoot up next week or go lower and languish for a while first. Did you think we'd ever see gold so close to 1000 again?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Yee ha!

Does that count?  ;D
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB »

Who knew that gold would be holding up the PP?
Beside Libertarian666?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

annieB wrote: Who knew that gold would be holding up the PP?
Beside Libertarian666?
I couldn't claim that I knew that would be the case. But looking at the past 10 years or so, it's not hard to see which asset class has done the best overall while not running out of headroom. And since the conditions that have caused that to happen have not gone away, but in fact have gotten much more intense, I see no reason to expect that to change.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Beside Libertarian666?
How long until the PP again reaches the point at which the gold torpedo sunk the ship?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dragoncar wrote:
Beside Libertarian666?
How long until the PP again reaches the point at which the gold torpedo sunk the ship?
I'm not sure I would put it quite that way. How much of the performance over the past 10 years is from the gold component?
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Libertarian666 wrote:
dragoncar wrote:
Beside Libertarian666?
I'm not sure I would put it quite that way. How much of the performance over the past 10 years is from the gold component?
I don't care about the last 10 years any more than I care that the sinking ship I'm on previously made years of successful voyages
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dragoncar wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
dragoncar wrote: How long until the PP again reaches the point at which the gold torpedo sunk the ship?
I don't care about the last 10 years any more than I care that the sinking ship I'm on previously made years of successful voyages
If there is an investment strategy that works better than the PP for you, I recommend you adopt it.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dragoncar wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
dragoncar wrote: How long until the PP again reaches the point at which the gold torpedo sunk the ship?
I think of the PP as a pontoon boat with four separate flotation chambers and the boat won't sink as long as at least one chamber still has air in it.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

MediumTex wrote:
I think of the PP as a pontoon boat with four separate flotation chambers and the boat won't sink as long as at least one chamber still has air in it.
Are you going to change the name of the website to "pontooninvesting.com?"
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

AdamA wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
Are you going to change the name of the website to "pontooninvesting.com?"
It would probably get a lot of traffic from men looking for a way to convince their wives that buying a boat is a wise financial decision.

The men visiting the site might be thinking things like "A pontoon boat is to a man as breast augmentation is to a woman" as they fantasized about all of the good times they were going to have with their new boats.

While we're at it, we probably ought to lock up "implantinvesting.com" as well.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

MediumTex wrote: It would probably get a lot of traffic from men looking for a way to convince their wives that buying a boat is a wise financial decision.

The men visiting the site might be thinking things like "A pontoon boat is to a man as breast augmentation is to a woman" as they fantasized about all of the good times they were going to have with their new boats.

While we're at it, we probably ought to lock up "implantinvesting.com" as well.
Oddly enough, I've been looking at boats lately and have noticed that several related manufacturers now offer a "spousal conversion kit" on their website...
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Boats and RVs:

Rent. Don't. Buy. Rent. Don't Buy.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

It can definitely be done. Living as a nomad in your tricked-out vehicle could be totally awesome, you just have to be the right kind of person to do it.

But I don't think that's what flyingpylon had in mind. Owning a boat or an RV purely as a recreational affair, when you already have a job, a house, a car, a spouse, kids... it's a great way to lose a lot of money, have a variety of new and unpleasant experiences at your local DMV, and learn how much fun it isn't to drive or tow bus-sized vehicles. Don't ask me how I know this...  :-[
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Pointedstick wrote:
It can definitely be done. Living as a nomad in your tricked-out vehicle could be totally awesome, you just have to be the right kind of person to do it.

But I don't think that's what flyingpylon had in mind. Owning a boat or an RV purely as a recreational affair, when you already have a job, a house, a car, a spouse, kids... it's a great way to lose a lot of money, have a variety of new and unpleasant experiences at your local DMV, and learn how much fun it isn't to drive or tow bus-sized vehicles. Don't ask me how I know this...  :-[
If you must buy an RV, buy one that is 3-5 years old.  It will be a less financially traumatic experience if you do it this way.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

MediumTex wrote: If you must buy an RV, buy one that is 3-5 years old.  It will be a less financially traumatic experience if you do it this way.
Just don't get any ideas.

RVs can lead to bad things.

"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Pointedstick wrote: Boats and RVs:

Rent. Don't. Buy. Rent. Don't Buy.
LOL... yes, I generally agree.  Or at the very least, buy used.  The depreciation hit for new boats appears to be even larger than that of cars.  There seem to be plenty of good used boats on the market to choose from.