The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Tyler »

Tyler wrote: Explaining how your observations about the PP vs your 70/30 portfolio jive with history is sorta tricky, and it inspired me to tinker with a new calculator that directly compares portfolios. It's still a work in progress, but I'll give you a sneak preview as I think it will help.
For anyone interested in playing with the numbers for themselves, the tool is now live.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2018/02/26/ ... -accuracy/

Try a few portfolios with and without gold, and you'll start to really appreciate its ability to raise the floor on returns.

@Budd -- No matter what asset allocation you ultimately settle on, my hope is that you find an archer you trust enough to let her do her job without so much worry about the precise location of every arrow.
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 »

Yet another amazing calculator, Tyler.
STAT PERPETUS PORTFOLIO DUM VOLVITUR ORBIS

Amazon: Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo »

Tyler wrote:For anyone interested in playing with the numbers for themselves, the tool is now live.
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say your continued hard work is greatly appreciated, Tyler! It's interesting to compare the more volatile portfolios with either PP, GB, or my own concoction. There is a kind of WANT to see that 15 year looking stronger, but it's the tradeoff for a more stable allocation. How might you interpret these two portfolios? The orange is my own allocation... the black is my good friend's allocation.

Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

eufo wrote:It's interesting to compare the more volatile portfolios with either PP, GB, or my own concoction. There is a kind of WANT to see that 15 year looking stronger, but it's the tradeoff for a more stable allocation. How might you interpret these two portfolios? The orange is my own allocation... the black is my good friend's allocation.
I hear you on the desire to up that 15-year return, but sometimes the best answer to upping your returns is not to add more investing risk but to stick with a highly dependable portfolio that works well for you and simply save a little more. That gets you the best of both worlds -- higher account values and greater accuracy. ;)

Also, it's important to keep an eye on the big picture and look at the options from few different perspectives. For example, your portfolio looks a lot more appealing in the Drawdowns calculator. Different people are motivated by different things, so it's hard to make generalizations. The best I can do is offer some tools to help people figure that out for themselves.

And as a side note, I'd personally take special note of that estimated tag on portfolio B resulting from the high EM allocation. That asset in particular has a lot of potential tracking error. I offer the best estimate I can give with the data I have available, but I can't guarantee the results for an EM allocation that high.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo »

Tyler wrote:Also, it's important to keep an eye on the big picture and look at the options from few different perspectives. For example, your portfolio looks a lot more appealing in the Drawdowns calculator. Different people are motivated by different things, so it's hard to make generalizations. The best I can do is offer some tools to help people figure that out for themselves.
Yes. Your site is how I decided on my current allocation. I think it blends together stability and returns in a way that works for me. I also like my same allocation minus cash, but find it harder to follow, so, for now, I'll keep cash.
Tyler wrote:And as a side note, I'd personally take special note of that estimated tag on portfolio B resulting from the high EM allocation. That asset in particular has a lot of potential tracking error. I offer the best estimate I can give with the data I have available, but I can't guarantee the results for an EM allocation that high.
Personally, I think he's nuts to hold that much EM, but he seems to love it for now. I think he'll change his mind after a drawdown. I'm also estimating his bond allocations. He's technically 20% Total Bond Market and 20% TIPS. I think you used to have TIPS on your site, didn't you? I never really liked them.

Thank you for your response. I shouldn't be filling "The GOLD scream room" with this. Lol!
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Why did gold spike today? Isn't the Fed being hawkish?
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

ochotona wrote:Why did gold spike today? Isn't the Fed being hawkish?
duh...Libertarian666's recent purchase obviously raised the price O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i ... s-gold.asp

Despite widespread popular belief of a strong negative correlation between interest rates and the price of gold , a long-term review of the respective paths and trends of interest rates and gold prices reveals that no such relationship actually exists. The correlation between interest rates and the price of gold over the past half century, from 1970 to 2015, has only been about 28%, which is considered to be not much of a significant correlation at all.

Given the historical tendencies of the actual reactions of stock market prices and gold prices to interest rate increases, the likelihood is greater that stock prices will be negatively impacted by rising interest rates and that gold may in fact benefit as an alternative investment to equities.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

ochotona wrote:Why did gold spike today? Isn't the Fed being hawkish?
Don't worry, I'm sure this is just a glitch in the matrix. Gold should be plunging because I just bought a chunk!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum »

It's working today, budd!!!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Sure is!

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I guess...
Gold closed at the lows + 1.3 with the S&P down 2.1%. TLT was down so nothing magical.
70/30 allocation is bruised but to be expected. After today, both 70/30 and PP should be down about the same YTD.
Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum »

Classic, budd. I spoke too soon while the stocks loss was smaller. But corto is also right on: gold is still tops on the YTD (and has been the 3mo leader all month).
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Mr Vacuum wrote:Classic, budd. I spoke too soon while the stocks loss was smaller. But corto is also right on: gold is still tops on the YTD (and has been the 3mo leader all month).
I can’t let the team down now ;)
The benefits of holding a PP over an equity-centric portfolio are becoming much more evident as my variant of the PP is 1/5 the volatility of the 70/30 over the last couple days.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

buddtholomew wrote:
Mr Vacuum wrote:Classic, budd. I spoke too soon while the stocks loss was smaller. But corto is also right on: gold is still tops on the YTD (and has been the 3mo leader all month).
I can’t let the team down now ;)
The benefits of holding a PP over an equity-centric portfolio are becoming much more evident as my variant of the PP is 1/5 the volatility of the 70/30 over the last couple days.
Glad to hear that you are finally seeing some benefits!
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

Libertarian666 wrote: Glad to hear that you are finally seeing some benefits!
Just wait a little. :-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Doesn't warrant its own thread, but here's an opinion piece from the WSJ on metal tariffs, gold and fiat money. (Really the latter two).
I am not for or against it; just think of me as a bot responsible for bringing gold-related articles here.
I made an archive so you should be able to read it without a subscription.

http://archive.is/d3eES
🍍
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

So sad, but expected for sure.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Just a little happy screaming here...

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Well, SO glad the latest WWIII crisis has been averted...at least until tomorrow.

What an amazing change in volatility 2018 has brought.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

That’s the PP for you.
Gold and Treasuries selling off post false positive crisis.
I feel even more confident holding a higher percentage in equities.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Schwab just published a note to clients suggesting as much as 9% of a portfolio could be devoted to gold. I've never heard that from them before.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ochotona wrote:Schwab just published a note to clients suggesting as much as 9% of a portfolio could be devoted to gold. I've never heard that from them before.
Did they give a reason for that (maximum) percentage?
🍍
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

dualstow wrote:
ochotona wrote:Schwab just published a note to clients suggesting as much as 9% of a portfolio could be devoted to gold. I've never heard that from them before.
Did they give a reason for that (maximum) percentage?
No reason given. Here's the article:

https://www.schwab.com/resource-center/ ... cmp=em-QYD