Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by buddtholomew »

These are good comments on Au.
I was recently at 17.5% in Gold and post 1330 sold 2.5% down to 15% total.
Same applied to LTT’s as I had a TLT batch at 124 that I sold at 122. Gold and LTT sales washed using SpecID.

I am going to market time Gold and sell when it is up to buy when it is down. Holding indefinitely is too difficult watching the asset sell when the crisis of the moment doesn’t materialize.

Down to 5% duration for LTT and STT’s.

32/15/15/38 which leaves 3% to move to stocks if and when they pull-back again.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Budd,

So, yes, you are right the PP is a "coward's portfolio". I'd rather be a smart coward, than have my family be starving and shivering in the streets along with the other "brave" stock/bond investors after that solar flare hits.

Yes, that's hopefully extremely hyperbolic imagery. But the point is that having some "hard" assets to complement an electronic stock/bond portfolio won't look dumb or cowardly if something extreme happens (solar flare, nuclear war, economic meltdown, etc.).
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

stuper1 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:31 pm Budd,

So, yes, you are right the PP is a "coward's portfolio". I'd rather be a smart coward, than have my family be starving and shivering in the streets along with the other "brave" stock/bond investors after that solar flare hits.

Yes, that's hopefully extremely hyperbolic imagery. But the point is that having some "hard" assets to complement an electronic stock/bond portfolio won't look dumb or cowardly if something extreme happens (solar flare, nuclear war, economic meltdown, etc.).
I’m with you on having an allocation to these assets but 25% is ludicrous. Down to 15% and perhaps that’s the sweet spot for me but man this show is on repeat over and over and over.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM »

I had to go back a ways in this thread to find any thing like the PP being called a "coward's portfolio" and maybe I didn't go back far enough to find it or just missed it.

What half-way reasonable investor, except for maybe the very young and stupid, would give the slightest thought to such an accusation of being a "coward" in the way they manage their life savings?
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

jacksonM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:40 pm

I had to go back a ways in this thread to find any thing like the PP being called a "coward's portfolio" and maybe I didn't go back far enough to find it or just missed it.

What half-way reasonable investor, except for maybe the very young and stupid, would give the slightest thought to such an accusation of being a "coward" in the way they manage their life savings?
There are various “coward” portfolios around and the term is not derogatory. It implies spreading your bets across a variety of assets as to not place a bet on a single asset.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM »

buddtholomew wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:08 pm

There are various “coward” portfolios around and the term is not derogatory. It implies spreading your bets across a variety of assets as to not place a bet on a single asset.
So, according to that definition, all of us who follow the PP are cowards. They probably need to update the definitions of economic terms to make this clear because those of us who only go by simple English still think of "coward" as a derogatory term.

In your opinion then, is this form of cowardice a good thing or a bad thing?
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

jacksonM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 pm

So, according to that definition, all of us who follow the PP are cowards. They probably need to update the definitions of economic terms to make this clear because those of us who only go by simple English still think of "coward" as a derogatory term.

Does it matter what I think? Do a simple Google search for coward portfolios and see for yourself. If you must know, I consider the PP the ultimate cowards portfolio as it allocates 25% to each economic condition. If an investor in the PP is also considered a coward by investing in such a portfolio then that’s you saying that and not me.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM »

buddtholomew wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:49 pm
jacksonM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Does it matter what I think? Do a simple Google search for coward portfolios and see for yourself. If you must know, I consider the PP the ultimate cowards portfolio as it allocates 25% to each economic condition. If an investor in the PP is also considered a coward by investing in such a portfolio then that’s you saying that and not me.
Well, now we are getting somewhere. Yes, it matters what you think because you are a long time member of the forum and probably most of us would like to have the amount of money you have. Whether it would make us happier or not in the long run is an interesting and debatable question.

cow·ard...

a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
"they had run away—the cowards!"

So tell us what you really think.

If you want to change the definition of the word in economic parlance feel free to have at it.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I take it you didn’t look it up.
Coward’s Portfolio - William Bernstein?
Heard of him?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

The interesting thing is seeing when the scream room gets active. Been pretty quiet for a while, and late last year until early this, stocks were getting hammered. Now they’ve recovered a lot, and gold seems to have temporarily peaked. And this room gets active again!
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:20 pm The interesting thing is seeing when the scream room gets active. Been pretty quiet for a while, and late last year until early this, stocks were getting hammered. Now they’ve recovered a lot, and gold seems to have temporarily peaked. And this room gets active again!
I think what happens is stocks recover and Gold/LTT’s sell-off over and over again. The pattern is uncanny..last time this happened I swore to take profit in these assets before the decline starts. I used to falsely believe that I needed the protection in case stocks sold off again. Now I take profits and wait for stocks to decline. I buy into the decline and sell Gold and LTT’s after the recovery,
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

The "cowards portfolio" is one specific portfolio, not a group of portfolios. It also does not resemble the PP at all. I don't think that taking a neutral stance on a portfolio is an act of cowardice. I also think that putting that implication here on a forum of people that invest this way is not great etiquette. I chose to re-allocate my portfolio in this manner because it allows me to be at peace with my investments. It allows me to get through the day without having to spend hours staring at charts and checking my balances. That's not an act of cowardice, that's allowing me to live my life and place my focus on things that matter more than my investments.

It sounds like you are not at peace with your investments. I wish that you would just sell it off, go full on 70/30, and call it a day. I mean gold and LTT's have one bad week, after performing rather well for quite some time, and it generates this much stress and emotion in you. That's not a healthy response. I think it's time to swap away from the PP and move on. Odds are you'll do just fine in the end. And you'll at least be at peace with your portfolio in the short term, and be able to quit obsessing over what gold and LTT's are doing on day to day basis. I want you to be at peace with your investments. I don't think the PP is for you. You probably swapped over at the worst possible time in decades, and it was a frustrating ride, and it's probably time to just cut the losses and move on to greener pastures. Even if things changed tomorrow and the great bear market finally came upon us and gold and LTT's came to the rescue, I still don't think you would appreciate the portfolio. I think the bad taste is stuck and there's no going back until you finally just sell it all and move on.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

pmward wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:25 pm The "cowards portfolio" is one specific portfolio, not a group of portfolios. It also does not resemble the PP at all. I don't think that taking a neutral stance on a portfolio is an act of cowardice. I also think that putting that implication here on a forum of people that invest this way is not great etiquette. I chose to re-allocate my portfolio in this manner because it allows me to be at peace with my investments. It allows me to get through the day without having to spend hours staring at charts and checking my balances. That's not an act of cowardice, that's allowing me to live my life and place my focus on things that matter more than my investments.

It sounds like you are not at peace with your investments. I wish that you would just sell it off, go full on 70/30, and call it a day. I mean gold and LTT's have one bad week, after performing rather well for quite some time, and it generates this much stress and emotion in you. That's not a healthy response. I think it's time to swap away from the PP and move on. Odds are you'll do just fine in the end. And you'll at least be at peace with your portfolio in the short term, and be able to quit obsessing over what gold and LTT's are doing on day to day basis. I want you to be at peace with your investments. I don't think the PP is for you. You probably swapped over at the worst possible time in decades, and it was a frustrating ride, and it's probably time to just cut the losses and move on to greener pastures. Even if things changed tomorrow and the great bear market finally came upon us and gold and LTT's came to the rescue, I still don't think you would appreciate the portfolio. I think the bad taste is stuck and there's no going back until you finally just sell it all and move on.
Some people just like to complain no matter how their portfolios perform.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:34 am
pmward wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:25 pm The "cowards portfolio" is one specific portfolio, not a group of portfolios. It also does not resemble the PP at all. I don't think that taking a neutral stance on a portfolio is an act of cowardice. I also think that putting that implication here on a forum of people that invest this way is not great etiquette. I chose to re-allocate my portfolio in this manner because it allows me to be at peace with my investments. It allows me to get through the day without having to spend hours staring at charts and checking my balances. That's not an act of cowardice, that's allowing me to live my life and place my focus on things that matter more than my investments.

Well then you should have a lot to complain about
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I’m sure you mean well but I’m good thanks.
I was once like you so I know you are coming from a good place.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

buddtholomew wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 am

I'm not one of those who likes to complain, so in fact you won't find me complaining about my portfolio at all.
Nice try though!
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

buddtholomew wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:53 pm I’ve sat through a decline in Gold on par with any market crash. I also had about 900K invested in 2008 so I think I qualify as living through a market crash.
I didn't say you hadn't lived through one, I said you had not been sufficiently scared by one. And 900K invested when you were 11 years younger compared to what you claim to have now is not much and not anywhere near as big of a deal psychologically.

The reason you get pushback here is because instead of simply saying "a pure PP is not for me" or "I prefer less gold and LTTs" you get on here and wail about how "the PP sucks" and "OMG gold and LTTs suck" and how people that don't see the investing world like you do are "cowards and losers".

It got old a very long time ago.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Last edited by ochotona on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

flyingpylon wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:48 am
buddtholomew wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:53 pm I’ve sat through a decline in Gold on par with any market crash. I also had about 900K invested in 2008 so I think I qualify as living through a market crash.
I didn't say you hadn't lived through one, I said you had not been sufficiently scared by one. And 900K invested when you were 11 years younger compared to what you claim to have now is not much and not anywhere near as big of a deal psychologically.

The reason you get pushback here is because instead of simply saying "a pure PP is not for me" or "I prefer less gold and LTTs" you get on here and wail about how "the PP sucks" and "OMG gold and LTTs suck" and how people that don't see the investing world like you do are "cowards and losers".

It got old a very long time ago.
I was fleeced by the folks on this forum 10 years ago, many have long gone or switched to a heavier equity portfolio. Only when I removed myself from the PP did I realize its true colors and they are yellow. Read or don’t read my posts but I will no longer defend the PP or praise its glory in the hope that another young investor is spared the first 10 years of their investment life. It’s my life ambition.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

ochotona wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 am An alleged multi-millionaire who ridicules and goads other people's discussions and decisions is a sad piece of work. No names, of course. I'm ot sure who that would be.
You’re just bitter because you’re poor, no names of course.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

buddtholomew wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 amI was fleeced by the folks on this forum 10 years ago
It's really very hard to get censured on this forum, but making false accusations against fellow members is a pretty good way to do it.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Xan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:33 am
buddtholomew wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 amI was fleeced by the folks on this forum 10 years ago
It's really very hard to get censured on this forum, but making false accusations against fellow members is a pretty good way to do it.
How do you know they are false?
Don’t care, ban me.
Probably the best thing you can do so that I don’t waste the rest of my investing life taking hits in Gold and LTT’s.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Fleece means they're taking money from you, deceptively. Have you ever sent money to anyone on this forum?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

One of the things that I love about this forum is that it is populated by crazy smart people.

Budd doesn't post accidentally. Even his most emotional rants are clearly backed by experience and life obligations that are beyond my understanding.

Tech is one of the most honest posters I've seen. Clear about his biases, what he believes in and a level headed evaluation of all the risks and rewards he has put on the table. You can't argue with that.

Xian is a hard ass - but fair - and smarter than you and me both.

Where else can you find this quality of discussion?
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:24 am
buddtholomew wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 am

I'm not one of those who likes to complain, so in fact you won't find me complaining about my portfolio at all.
Nice try though!
But if you were a complainer then no one would blame you for being 100% Au during a time when stocks have surged 100’s of percent. Good thing you’re still up on that 1 coin you bought 20 years ago.