stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:14 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:04 pm
..... each asset is 7 figures .....
I like the sound of that! Very nice, congratulations. I would hope to be there one day, but probably not. That's okay, I can admire the view from here.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:14 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
..... each asset is 7 figures .....
I like the sound of that! Very nice, congratulations. I would hope to be there one day, but probably not. That's okay, I can admire the view from here.
It can be scary at times .....it is impossible not to see how each part of the portfolio is doing and those pieces are very volatile to say the least ....so the dollar swings are insane ...a mere 1% swing is over 10k in an asset .

But being I hit new highs it was time to get as super defensive as I ever have been with this mess we are living through
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:37 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Typical portfolios have equities as the lead horse and everything else is weak ...rebalancing actually hurts you as you pull money out of the powerful asset and move to a less capable one .

The pp is different ....gold and long term treasuries are as volatile or more volatile then stocks and the results from rebalancing are very different.

I just finished migrating the two portfolios I use in to the one pp .......

I am not comfortable at all looking out so with our portfolios at record highs I wanted to get very defensive....this is the most I ever had invested in the pp ..... each asset is 7 figures .....
All before the decimal point? >:D
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:57 pm

technovelist wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:37 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
Typical portfolios have equities as the lead horse and everything else is weak ...rebalancing actually hurts you as you pull money out of the powerful asset and move to a less capable one .

The pp is different ....gold and long term treasuries are as volatile or more volatile then stocks and the results from rebalancing are very different.

I just finished migrating the two portfolios I use in to the one pp .......

I am not comfortable at all looking out so with our portfolios at record highs I wanted to get very defensive....this is the most I ever had invested in the pp ..... each asset is 7 figures .....
All before the decimal point? >:D
Last I looked it was
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:04 pm

Gold isn't quite at an all-time high in USD, but in CAD it has long surpassed that!

gold.png
gold.png (28.88 KiB) Viewed 487 times
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:04 pm
Gold isn't quite at an all-time high in USD, but in CAD it has long surpassed that!

gold.png
That's nothing. In Zimbabwe dollars it's at a zillion $/oz!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 pm

technovelist wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:31 pm

That's nothing. In Zimbabwe dollars it's at a zillion $/oz!
Damn. Foiled again!
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Gold at $1861 in overnight trading. Only $39 from the record.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:35 pm
Gold at $1861 in overnight trading. Only $39 from the record.
It seems Craigr was right about the PP's assets being like a rudder on a ship. They take a little time to turn. Long term bonds didn't respond immediately in the '08 crisis either, but they eventually did. Perhaps we're seeing something similar with gold here.

I suppose that makes sense though. This probably dovetails closely with the academic research concerning the momentum factor! There are limits to arbitrage and markets take time to assimilate new information.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:22 am

Shit, bros, gold is really getting up there. I'm still not used to it being a performer.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:17 am

Wow this is a shock. It is also strange....since July 1, all the assets are up including long bonds. I keep thinking one of the shoes has to drop. Who knows which one it will be...and happily, it doesn't matter. Harry Browne, whereever you are, thank you!

Except of course if it's stocks, it will be poison to stock/bond portfolios like the one in my corporate retirement accounts. How I wish it allowed gold, or it would have been a PP (or GB) a long time ago.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am

sophie wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:17 am
Wow this is a shock. It is also strange....since July 1, all the assets are up including long bonds. I keep thinking one of the shoes has to drop. Who knows which one it will be...and happily, it doesn't matter. Harry Browne, whereever you are, thank you!

Except of course if it's stocks, it will be poison to stock/bond portfolios like the one in my corporate retirement accounts. How I wish it allowed gold, or it would have been a PP (or GB) a long time ago.
Can you take an in-service rollover from your corporate retirement account(s)? Some corporations allow that.