The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3119
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:42 pm

The Wall Street traders are tripping over one another in a mad rush to dump safe assets for stocks because they think the global economy has been saved. I don't trade, but if I did, I would not be rushing back into stocks. I have confidence in Donald Trump. There is not much he can't screw up. Between Trump, Brexit, the ticking debt bomb and our unstable foreign affairs there are enormous opportunities for unpleasant surprises. For now I'm sticking with the HBPP and my smallish VP (VWIAX and silver).
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:01 pm

I'm a gold buyer at $1435 with my 2020 Roth IRA money.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm

What I'd love in Jan on my annual rebalance is the opposite of what happened last year. With the drop in stocks late last year I was not able to lock in gains and sell some stocks in a rebalance.

This year I'd be able to rebalance a bit out of stocks if this uptrend holds.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8791
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm
What I'd love in Jan on my annual rebalance is the opposite of what happened last year. With the drop in stocks late last year I was not able to lock in gains and sell some stocks in a rebalance.

This year I'd be able to rebalance a bit out of stocks if this uptrend holds.
You could always do it early. What are the odds that optimum gains are going to line up with your preferred date of sale?
RIP Paul Volcker
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:56 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm
What I'd love in Jan on my annual rebalance is the opposite of what happened last year. With the drop in stocks late last year I was not able to lock in gains and sell some stocks in a rebalance.

This year I'd be able to rebalance a bit out of stocks if this uptrend holds.
You could always do it early. What are the odds that optimum gains are going to line up with your preferred date of sale?
That would be timing in a way. Blindly doing it in early January makes it mindless and emotionless -- as well, I have my IRA contribution cash going in early January each year so that adds to the cash amount.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8791
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Yes, it would absolutely be timing.
RIP Paul Volcker
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Montague, MA
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:56 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm
What I'd love in Jan on my annual rebalance is the opposite of what happened last year. With the drop in stocks late last year I was not able to lock in gains and sell some stocks in a rebalance.

This year I'd be able to rebalance a bit out of stocks if this uptrend holds.
You could always do it early. What are the odds that optimum gains are going to line up with your preferred date of sale?
That would be timing in a way. Blindly doing it in early January makes it mindless and emotionless -- as well, I have my IRA contribution cash going in early January each year so that adds to the cash amount.
"That would be timing in a way. Blindly doing it in early January makes it mindless and emotionless"

I support you STAYING the course for the reasons you state! Reading what you wrote reaffirms it all for me.

Vinny
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3214
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by sophie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Wow, I'm amazed at how little I care about this....

since I decided to only look at my portfolio every 3 months. When I saw this post I thought, hey maybe I should check...then I thought, nah, got better things to do.
Post Reply