The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8460
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 pm
Anyone buying physical metals over the weekend in response to recent events in the Middle East? I came close at least three times but held back.
I would buy at 1300/oz. That has nothing to do with analysis (although you all know I’m a huge fan), but it would be a good spot for lowering my avg cost.

Hoping to be rid of my BP shares on Monday, but it probably won’t happen. KSA seems to have everything under control.
El Chapo’s family to compensate those who lost relatives in botched arrest. Isn’t that sweet.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:27 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 pm
Anyone buying physical metals over the weekend in response to recent events in the Middle East? I came close at least three times but held back.
I would buy at 1300/oz. That has nothing to do with analysis (although you all know I’m a huge fan), but it would be a good spot for lowering my avg cost.

Hoping to be rid of my BP shares on Monday, but it probably won’t happen. KSA seems to have everything under control.
If I (we?) have learned anything with gold over the past few years is that it reacts quickly to these types of world events, and reacts just as quickly back down. Not looking to day trade here! If gold hasn't hit bands or it's not my yearly rebalance, I am not trading. But that's me.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2747
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Newmont plans for success at a $900 gold price.

https://youtu.be/d7wTjo4avCE
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:40 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by boglerdude » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:17 am

Wouldnt gold work better as money if there were no mining? Its supposed to be a stable benchmark against which to price everything else
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8460
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:19 am

ochotona wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm
Newmont plans for success at a $900 gold price.

https://youtu.be/d7wTjo4avCE
The other day I read
Many companies, including the world’s largest gold miner, Newmont Goldcorp Corp., say they will only approve new projects if they can make money with gold at $1,200, about 20% below where the metal currently trades.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-gold-pr ... 1569144601
El Chapo’s family to compensate those who lost relatives in botched arrest. Isn’t that sweet.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4878
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by technovelist » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 am

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:17 am
Wouldnt gold work better as money if there were no mining? Its supposed to be a stable benchmark against which to price everything else
Maybe, but mining output adds only a few percent of total stocks every year, and that is very hard to increase.
Fiat money, on the other hand, can be increased in amount with almost no effort, which makes it very poor money.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2747
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ochotona » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 am

ochotona wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:45 am
Firms offering no commissions on trading:

Charles Schwab (announced 10/1/19)
TD Ameritrade (announced 10/2/19, effective 10/3/19)
Interactive Brokers (the IBKR-Lite tier)

Now you can buy whichever gold ETF you want, without concerns about fees. Probably lots of people will start buying AAAU now.
Post Reply