The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: Either I'm reading the wrong numbers, or tech's going to have a biiiig smile on his face this morning.
I don't think you are reading the wrong numbers.  ;D

But of course being the big worrywart that I am, I can't help but wonder whether this is a spike that will disappear shortly.  :P
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Libertarian666 wrote:
dualstow wrote: Either I'm reading the wrong numbers, or tech's going to have a biiiig smile on his face this morning.

But of course being the big worrywart that I am, I can't help but wonder whether this is a spike that will disappear shortly.  :P
Is this recent rise driven by fundamentals? I know stocks got pounded again in Asia and, to a lesser degree, in Europe so far today. Don't get me wrong... I am happy to finally see gold doing well again. I just don't get why it's performing well. Inflation? A real threat to the USD? Just no other place to put one's damn money with stock and bond valuations still being high and cash not paying anything? I want it to make sense, damn it!  :) Is it just on a friggin' random walk?
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

The other thing I am curious about is why gold and long bonds are moving up together. Is it negative real rates? I know the sample size is small (basically since the calendar flipped to January).
Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Fred »

barrett wrote: The other thing I am curious about is why gold and long bonds are moving up together. Is it negative real rates? I know the sample size is small (basically since the calendar flipped to January).
The effect of all the negative interest rate talk seems like a no-brainer for rising long bond prices. As for gold, negative rates also sounds like a doom and gloom scenario so that would be my guess.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Talk me out of selling a portion of my gold position this morning...
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

buddtholomew wrote: Talk me out of selling a portion of my gold position this morning...
Hi, I'm Budd. You may know me from such threads as "I'm done!"

Well, in all seriousness, only you can make that decision. What I do is to tell myself: Gold is very likely to go back down again before it goes up, and it will hurt. Do I want to take profits now or stay in it for the big rise in the future?
It's a little easier for me, because I have no profits, but I'm staying in, of course. May want to buy more when it calms down, if I can find the cash.

I thought your gold was down 10%. Are there pieces of it that just broke even or something?
Last edited by dualstow on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

buddtholomew wrote: Talk me out of selling a portion of my gold position this morning...
Are you using the PP as an investor or a speculator?

I can almost guarantee you that if you sell your gold this morning you will be kicking yourself in a month or a year.  That's just my strong intuition.

Just let the PP do its thing, and when you hit a rebalancing point, rebalance.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

MediumTex wrote: Just let the PP do its thing, and when you hit a rebalancing point, rebalance.
The only issue with this is when you pay just enough attention to the markets to watch your positions almost reach their rebalancing bands, but you don't rebalance, and of course they reverse direction and you're left dreaming of the market timing that might have been.

But I guess that's just part of the deal, and true of any strategy.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Gooooold!  ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

flyingpylon wrote: The only issue with this is when you pay just enough attention to the markets to watch your positions almost reach their rebalancing bands, but you don't rebalance, and of course they reverse direction and you're left dreaming of the market timing that might have been.
I agree. That is the worst.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

MediumTex wrote:
Are you using the PP as an investor or a speculator?

I can almost guarantee you that if you sell your gold this morning you will be kicking yourself in a month or a year.  That's just my strong intuition.

Just let the PP do its thing, and when you hit a rebalancing point, rebalance.
I sold 10% of my gold allocation this morning to avoid any regret.
It won't matter either way monetarily, but psychologically it will make all the difference.
All assets are now at +/- 25% and FI duration back to 5.6 with cash from the sale.

Sorry MT.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

buddtholomew wrote:I sold 10% of my gold allocation this morning to avoid any regret.
No selling!  I want my gold to go higher, not lower.  :-)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

More seriously: at the end of 2015 I did some loss harvesting, selling IAU and buying GTU (now PHYS).  I don't believe the wash sale rule applies to gold, but I wanted to avoid any possibility of that, as well as confusion about that on the part of the broker.  GTU was selling at a small discount at the time.

According to http://www.morningstar.com/cefs/ARCX/PHYS/quote.html , PHYS is now trading at a premium of .61%, as of 2/9.  I'm guessing that's higher today.

Is this a good time to sell my PHYS and get back to IAU (for the lower expense ratio)?  Does anybody know whether there's any such thing as real-time premium/discount information?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Holy crap guys, this is ridiculous!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Buy some GLD puts to hedge your position if you feel the need to.

It does feel out of control, "must be slammed down" but, wow what a rise the past few days. 

PP did 4.04% for me in 2014, -3.26% in 2015 and right now 4.44% up for 2016.  I swear, part of me wants to say sell everything, and just get back in in 2017!
Test of the signature line
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Just thinking that the nice thing about having a portfolio that is balanced is that it allows you to stay invested and not miss moves like this. Sometimes a year's worth of gains can occur in a very short time.

I'd also love to know where/who the majority of buyers are at the moment.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

barrett wrote: Just thinking that the nice thing about having a portfolio that is balanced is that it allows you to stay invested and not miss moves like this. Sometimes a year's worth of gains can occur in a very short time.

I'd also love to know where/who the majority of buyers are at the moment.
Most likely short covering.
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

Tyler wrote: Gooooold!  ;D
You can say that again, Tyler. I rolled over most of my stake  into the PP in early 2013, not long before the yellow stuff took its first stomach-turning dive. The past three years (except for 2014)have not been terribly encouraging, until now.

Yeah, baby! It's days like this that tell me to drop in at the ol' bank vault and run those lovely kangeroos and eagles through my fingers while I cackle like Donald Duck's goldbug uncle, hoping those sunbright disks of loveliness hit the table with a satisfying ring, not the dull thud indicating they are some of those newfangled tungsten fakes.  :o :( >:(
Last edited by goodasgold on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MWKXJ

Post by MWKXJ »

If only GTU had held out for a few more months the fund would likely be selling at a premium now, invalidating Sprott's under-performance claim.  What a shame.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

goodasgold wrote: Yeah, baby! It's days like this that tell me to drop in at the ol' bank vault and run those lovely kangeroos and eagles through my fingers while I cackle like Donald Duck's goldbug uncle, hoping those sunbright disks of loveliness hit the table with a satisfying ring, not the dull thud indicating they are some of those newfangled tungsten fakes.  :o :( >:(
I was there yesterday, but it was to deposit a tube, my late January purchase.  :)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

barrett wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Is this recent rise driven by fundamentals? I know stocks got pounded again in Asia and, to a lesser degree, in Europe so far today. Don't get me wrong... I am happy to finally see gold doing well again. I just don't get why it's performing well. Inflation? A real threat to the USD? Just no other place to put one's damn money with stock and bond valuations still being high and cash not paying anything? I want it to make sense, damn it!  :) Is it just on a friggin' random walk?
Listen, grasshopper: What is the definition of a US dollar?
Answer that and you will know the secret of gold.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Pointedstick wrote: Holy crap guys, this is ridiculous!
Only if you don't understand money.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

MWKXJ wrote: If only GTU had held out for a few more months the fund would likely be selling at a premium now, invalidating Sprott's under-performance claim.  What a shame.
My thought exactly.  I was planning to tax-loss harvest gold at the end of the month when I do my annual check-up.  I guess I'm still down 15% or so total, but now my last 1-2 lots are above water.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Things may drop again tomorrow, but what a day. Time to celebrate.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Almost triple the average volume on IAU today.

A few more days like this.... :)