Dealer tricked into spending $100,000 on fake gold in NYC's Diamond District

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dealer tricked into spending $100,000 on fake gold in NYC's Diamond District

Post by MachineGhost »

bronsuchecki wrote: In the case of The Perth Mint, we melt every non Perth Mint bar and coin we buy back. We also melt a fair number of our own coins and bars if they are too old or damaged to enable resale. The point is that with such turnover of physical, the lack of fakes appearing in our and Heraeus’ operations indicates to us that fakes are few and far between."
I doubt that will be the case when gold gets over $5,000 an ounce.  So Perth won't bothering assaying or melting down any fake gold that looks to be from Perth itself?

Lesson to be learned: do not buy anything but gold bullion coins or pre-graded, authenticated gold coins.  Ignore the other exotics and leave the bars to the Good Delivery system.  Why risk being made the fool?  As B.A. would say, "I pity the fool, fool!".
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dealer tricked into spending $100,000 on fake gold in NYC's Diamond District

Post by vnatale »

bronsuchecki wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm http://www.perthmintbullion.com/Blog/Bl ... Facts.aspx

"In the experience of The Perth Mint, such fakes are a rare occurrence. In the 20 years our Refinery Manager has been working at the Mint, he has never seen a fake bar come through our operations.

Even in the professional market, which deals in 400oz bars, there is a fair bit of turnover. While central bank holdings are quite stable, large bars held by private investors are traded and ownership changes often. As a result, there is a good chance a bar will eventually be melted for use by a jeweller, mint or refiner and as such there is a high probability of any fakes being caught out.

In the case of The Perth Mint, we melt every non Perth Mint bar and coin we buy back. We also melt a fair number of our own coins and bars if they are too old or damaged to enable resale. The point is that with such turnover of physical, the lack of fakes appearing in our and Heraeus’ operations indicates to us that fakes are few and far between."
Who here was convinced and assured by the above?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I miss that guy. He's no longer at Perth Mint, but I always appreciated his posts and I take him at his word.
🍍