Overseas Gold ETFs and Geographic Diversifcation

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Overseas Gold ETFs and Geographic Diversifcation

Post by craigr »

murphy_p_t wrote: Craig, you wrote: "If they have any assets in US dollars they are being held in a US bank somewhere. That's even what Swiss banks do."

Can you elaborate on this point? Or maybe you have a reference article?
I think you have several good answers. Dollars are only good in the US so that's where they stay. The same way that a US bank wouldn't really hold another currency. It will stay where the currency is valid.

So if you are trying to be slick and put money in some offshore haven, but want to hold dollars, the dollars are still in the US financial system even if the bank is offshore.

If you really want money held outside your border, you need to send it to a bank or other institution and convert it to the host country currency or a hard asset like gold that is held there. You can't hold the money in dollars. That achieves nothing but electronic bookkeeping entries.
Last edited by craigr on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by steve »

Kitco’s Canadian Allocated Storage program
http://www.kitco.com/cas/

Has anyone looked into this?  What is the best way to store gold for Geographic Diversifcation?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

steve wrote: Kitco’s Canadian Allocated Storage program
http://www.kitco.com/cas/

Has anyone looked into this?  What is the best way to store gold for Geographic Diversifcation?
In a safety deposit box in your own name!

MG
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!