Confused about Karat Pay, Karat Gold, etc

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Confused about Karat Pay, Karat Gold, etc

Post by dualstow »

Looking at Smith's post, I got curious about the official site. I don't buy gold by the gram; 1oz coins are for for me. Still curious, though. Maybe if you could insert these cards into a reader that would authenticate them...

I found lots of dealers, but no official site. There is one Karat or Karat Pay that has little to do with gold but which is a payment system.

Ebay has 1g gold embedded into a paper note that looks like currency..at least in google images. When you click on it, ebay can't find the page anymore.

One image kind of like Smith's is of a 1g card with "www.karabars.com" printed on it, but that site doesn't load for me.

Do any of these companies still exist? Maybe they just supply to dealers and so they don't' really need to keep a website up 💭
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Confused about Karat Pay, Karat Gold, etc

Post by pmbug »

I don't know about Karat Pay/Gold, but if you are looking for fractional gold that is a practical form for consumer trade, I'd suggest looking at goldbacks:

https://www.goldback.com/

They have a high premium because of the manufacturing process, but they are really neat inventions. I own a few of the original 2019 series.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

At last, a legit website! Thank you, pmbug.

Interesting that Apmex wants to sell cotton gloves with them when they are encased in protective polyester. But, I guess that’s to keep one’s finger oils off the polyester.
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

You can definitely handle them bare handed and worry free - no gloves required. The only real downside I see to them is that, while flexible/bendy, they don't seem like they can be folded without damaging them. They really should be kept flat (not folded).
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu