Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Monetary Metals

Post by ppnewbie » Mon May 08, 2023 9:28 pm

Here are some details for Monetary Metals:

Cash is converted to unallocated gold at about a 1 percent premium. It is then offered for lease to companies that use
gold like jewelers who pay back gold loan with gold plus interest in gold. You get a 1099-INT for the gold you receive in interest based on the dollar value of the gold at the time. You can decide if you would like to participate in leases that are offered.
The minimum investment: 20k
If you decide to liquidate your unallocated gold to cash you get 1 percent below spot. (Not hundred percent sure about this).

If you wanted to liquidate and redeem your unallocated gold and convert it to physical gold. The gold is sold at a .5 percent fee (plus the 1 percent below spot) and then they purchase the form of gold you would like and you pay the premium and shipping cost. An example of the shipping cost was $220 for 30 ounces of gold. I double checked and the representative said that this is NOT a taxable event.

No storage fees

Could be off on the items below:
They also offer Gold Bonds where you can loan cash to Mining operations but it is accounted as gold so they do not have to worry about gold price fluctuations. I think it's something to the effect of the borrow gold convert it go cash use the cash and then pay back in gold.

I also think they offer gold funds, which are a combination of gold bonds and gold leases.
Last edited by ppnewbie on Tue May 09, 2023 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Monetary Metais

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 08, 2023 11:40 pm

I was in Cartagena Colombia last week and the cab driver had this enormous gold watch on. Clearly fake, but if it were real it would have easily been a solid troy pound. I think that if you want to move metal cross boundaries, the Mr. T approach is the way to go.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Monetary Metals

Post by ppnewbie » Tue May 09, 2023 12:55 am

No boundaries being crossed. They are based in Arizona. It’s an interesting way to own gold and earn a yield on it.
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Monetary Metals

Post by seajay » Tue May 09, 2023 2:20 pm

I prefer to lease to myself. Shift some gold over to the stock side, and instead of 50/50 TSM/gold holding 67/33 SCV/gold. Comparable to the addition of a 5% gold dividend/interest benefit.

PP of 33/17/25/25 SCV/gold/cash/LTT

Better IMO than selling gold covered calls (that earns interest (time value of selling the calls - but that risks missing out on (caps) large up-runs/spikes in the price of gold)), or other forms of counter-party risk such as lending to third parties.