Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Wonk
Executive Member
Executive Member

IRA approved international gold custodians

Post by Wonk » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:53 am

Hi All,

I did a quick search on this forum and did not find much in relation to IRA-approved international gold custodians. Diversification is a good thing and I think that would apply to physical gold held by a custodian internationally for a portion of assets. If anyone has information or references related to this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wonk
coasting
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: IRA approved international gold custodians

Post by coasting » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:56 pm

Wonk wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:53 am
Hi All,

I did a quick search on this forum and did not find much in relation to IRA-approved international gold custodians. Diversification is a good thing and I think that would apply to physical gold held by a custodian internationally for a portion of assets. If anyone has information or references related to this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wonk
IRA-approved? No personal experience. My gold allocation is split roughly in half between taxable and IRA accounts.

For allocation in IRA, I am just using iShares IAUM for "paper" gold - simple and cheap at 0.07% ER. I believe the bullion for IAUM is all or mostly in London vault.

For allocation in taxable, I am using Hard Assets Alliance for purchase of physical bullion and storage spread across 4 vaults - New York, Salt Lake City, Zurich and Singapore. Definitely more expensive with purchase spreads plus on going storage cost of 0.65%.

According to their FAQ, HAA works with Equity Trust if you want to create a gold IRA account - some additional administrative fees. Check: https://support.hardassetsalliance.com/ ... ounts-IRA- for more info.
So US-based IRA custodian plus US-based gold broker with international depositories - does that meet your requirements? Note, IRS has some kind of limitations on which gold products can be contained in an IRA. Legal tender from US Mint should qualify. I checked today what gold products are currently offered in the HAA international vaults:
London - bar: 1Kg, 400oz
Zurich - bar: 1oz, 10oz, 1Kg, 400oz; 1oz coin: American Eagle, Maple Leaf, Krugerand
Singapore - bar: 1oz, 1Kg; 1oz coin: American Buffalo, Maple Leaf

If you are looking for international based company, poster dopplerdave has commented positively regarding his experience with Strategic Wealth Preservation in Cayman Islands. Search the board for swpcayman and you will find the threads. According to their website they offer gold IRA through a couple of custodians. See: https://swpcayman.com/home/ira
"You can buy and hold precious metals in a self-directed IRA in the United States or Cayman Islands.
SWP has partnered with two reputable IRA custodians, Preferred Trust Company and Advanta IRA, to offer American investors the opportunity to purchase and store precious metals held in a self-directed IRA. Investors have the option to purchase and store with SWP in the United States or offshore in the Cayman Islands."

Whatever you do, stay away from Regal Assets. Hopefully no one in our community was affected by this company:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/tyler-gal ... d-vanished