PHYS selling at a premium

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

PHYS selling at a premium

Post by Pet Hog » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:55 pm

PHYS is, at this minute, trading at a premium of +0.20%. It usually trades at a discount (2020 was the last year where it meaningfully traded for several weeks at a premium), so now might be a good time to get out of it if anyone has been thinking of going to a less expensive ETF or physical. Just an FYI.

Check the current premium/discount here, as well as historical data:

https://sprott.com/investment-strategie ... -discount/
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PHYS selling at a premium

Post by Don » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:49 pm

It's probably not worth it for tax purposes.
Last edited by Don on Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:38 pm

Pet Hog wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:55 pm
PHYS is, at this minute, trading at a premium of +0.20%. It usually trades at a discount (2020 was the last year where it meaningfully traded for several weeks at a premium), so now might be a good time to get out of it if anyone has been thinking of going to a less expensive ETF or physical. Just an FYI.

Check the current premium/discount here, as well as historical data:

https://sprott.com/investment-strategie ... -discount/
Pet Hog,
How are you tracking current premium/discount to NAV for PHYS? I am looking at FIdelity's webpage for for PHYS and I can only see a monthly average, which looks like it is in negative territory.

Using the URL listed above also shows a negative discount to NAV.
Intraday Premium/Discount Calculation -0.2%
(Data last updated Monday, April 4, 2022 11:41 AM EST)
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:18 pm

jhogue wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:38 pm
How are you tracking current premium/discount to NAV for PHYS?
I was using that Sprott URL. And also checking the price ratio of IAU to PHYS. It's rare to see PHYS trade at a premium to NAV, but it was doing so consistently on Friday, not just a spike at closing. Because the discount has been averaging about -1% over the last couple of years, I'm expecting the premium to go down from here within a few days or weeks. Right now, Sprott says +0.07% premium. It's volatile.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:38 pm

Thanks for the information. I have some PHYS I would like to swap out for something with a lower expense ration.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:21 pm

GLDM recently dropped to a .10% mngt fees. I've switched all my paper gold over to it. Unless other etfs have followed suit that's 41% cheaper than the next lowest expense fund.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:44 am

Right now PHYS is trading at a discount to NAV: -2.03%. See here at the Sprott website. Since about June 2018 it has been trading in the range from 0% to -2%, so it looks like it might be at a low.