Gold ETFs old and new

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold ETFs old and new

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:24 pm

Has anyone bought OUNZ? Mentioned by Kevin severall times in this thread.

After finally freeing myself from PHYS and all its annoying mail, and other etfs to go fully physical a few years ago, I’m kind of tempted to buy some OUNZ.

My sole safe deposit box is kind of heavy. I don’t want to store gold at home and worry about it like Gollum. it might be worth the tax rigmarole to add more gold in ETF form.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:27 pm

johnnywitt wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:33 pm
Don wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:50 am
I bought PHYS years ago and dislike it but I don't want to pay taxes to switch out of it. I guess I'm stuck.
PHYS is a Trust & therefore isn't taxed at the Collectibles rate: it is taxed like any other ETF.
This is only true if you filed the proper paperwork with the IRS in the first year that you owned it.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:46 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:24 pm
Has anyone bought OUNZ? Mentioned by Kevin severall times in this thread.

After finally freeing myself from PHYS and all its annoying mail, and other etfs to go fully physical a few years ago, I’m kind of tempted to buy some OUNZ.

My sole safe deposit box is kind of heavy. I don’t want to store gold at home and worry about it like Gollum. it might be worth the tax rigmarole to add more gold in ETF form.
How liquid do you view your physical holdings? Do you know your local shop and can just go over and sell 5 eagles? Or do you use a dealer like Apmex, JM Builion? Also, one thing that I realize is a big speed bump for me buying more physical is worrying about such a valuable package coming in the mail, what will happen if it does not arrive, making sure I am home, etc, etc...I'm the kind of person that understands everything that can go wrong. Also, then I start thinking about Buffalos vs Eagles vs Bars vs Combibars. And if the physical holdings were to get big enough, I would start to think about diversifying physical locations, etc, etc...

I would just go buy from my local shop but Apmex usually has much better deals. Also, if I ever sold the physical I would have alot of anxiety about selling to a dealer like apmex, mailing it, hoping nothing goes wrong.

Would love to understand your thought process and the mechanics of what you do because I want to start habitually going into and out of physical but thinking about all this stuff is a big road block for me.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:58 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:46 pm
Also, if I ever sold the physical I would have alot of anxiety about selling to a dealer like apmex, mailing it, hoping nothing goes wrong.
Do a test run with just a coin or two. It doesn't change the overall odds in the grand scheme of things but it does wonders for removing questions about the process and for reducing anxiety.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:46 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
How liquid do you view your physical holdings?

### See my reply at Where and How Do you Purchase Physical Gold ###
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:58 pm
ppnewbie wrote:
Also, if I ever sold the physical I would have alot of anxiety about selling to a dealer like apmex, mailing it, hoping nothing goes wrong.
Do a test run with just a coin or two. It doesn't change the overall odds in the grand scheme of things but it does wonders for removing questions about the process and for reducing anxiety.
Great advice - thanks
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:46 pm

Don wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:27 pm
johnnywitt wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:33 pm
Don wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:50 am
I bought PHYS years ago and dislike it but I don't want to pay taxes to switch out of it. I guess I'm stuck.
PHYS is a Trust & therefore isn't taxed at the Collectibles rate: it is taxed like any other ETF.
This is only true if you filed the proper paperwork with the IRS in the first year that you owned it.
Yeah, you're right Don. My bad.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:40 pm

Just noticed.

IAUM
Now at .09% expense ratio.

Bid ask spread and premium spread are looser than GLDM so I think GLDM would still be more cost effective.

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/306 ... rust-micro