Gold in IRA accounts

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gold in IRA accounts

Post by vnatale » Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 am

This morning as I continue to read through various IRS publications this is the second time I have come across these exact words in two different publications:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.45 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
1Capture.JPG
1Capture.JPG (14.25 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold in IRA accounts

Post by whatchamacallit » Mon May 10, 2021 4:20 pm

So sounds you can have bullion in your possession legally but probably not worth doing that yourself as a layman.

What is weird is the other collectables. It is almost like they are forcing you to do Roth conversion on your artwork since you don't pay tax when you sell but you still have to pay 10% penalty and distribution when you buy.

Not confusing at all. :-\
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold in IRA accounts

Post by whatchamacallit » Mon May 10, 2021 5:14 pm

Collectibles.....

So if I am reading that correct, you can convert your traditional IRA to dogecoin

pay tax on your distribution plus 10% penalty and then not have to pay tax on your to the moon profits?

Edit: nevermind I read it again and you only don't pay tax on the amount you already paid tax on. So you still have to pay tax on gains.

Man it sure seems like they could have written that better.

Just say you are not allowed to directly hold collectibles in ira unless it is precious metal bullion.