Burned by PHYS - Watch out

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Burned by PHYS - Watch out

Post by Libertarian666 »

tomfoolery wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:25 am I wanted to move some of my play money in my HSA into gold to heavy weight things a bit. So earlier this week I bought $10k of PHYS. I use SGOL for my main 401k gold holdings and I’m not sure why I didn’t buy SGOL this time, I think I might have been thinking of wash sale rules which are harmful. Such that if I buy SGOL in my 401k, and then within 30 days buy SGOL In taxable, I can’t tax loss harvest since wash sale look back 30 days in addition to the obvious future 30 days.

I was hearing a YouTuber I like discuss how he likes PHYS so I gave it a shot.

Today I saw my SGOL was up 0.5% mid day and my PHYS was down 2.5%

I immediately realized what it probably was - NAV discount/premium. So I looked into it and when I bought PHYS earlier this week it traded at a 3% NAV premium. And today the premium went to zero.

I looked at historical NAV premiums for PHYS and it was literally a one day spike. It’s been trading at NAV the last year or so. So I’m down $300 as a lesson that PHYS trades at a premium or discount to NAV and I need to check it before buying any I’m the future. I’ll stick with this holding for now since I already “paid the toll” and maybe it is safer than SGOL. Maybe not but there’s no compelling reason for me to sell it now.
This doesn't solve your immediate problem, but I don't think wash sale rules apply to "collectibles". Are SGOL and PHYS taxed as collectibles?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Burned by PHYS - Watch out

Post by Kbg »

Sorry...please forgive a small rant. I find this board focusing on the completely wrong things on some issues.

If you buy a gold ETF having it in Switzerland, having it backed by the Perth Mint...what, freaking, ever, is NOT what you should be focused on. You want a very large "too big to fail" highly regulated financial intermediary, full stop, end, dot, period. You want something that trades a lot of value everyday, has the smallest spread and is the cheapest ETF possible when factoring in spread, commission and mngt fees.

THE ABOVE is what you should focus on if you are serious about the safety of your ETF gold. Why do you think GLD does so much volume...it is because people who have huge amounts of money trust it the most as a gold substitute. The biggest markets are generally the best markets which is why they are large.

Cleansing breath, rant over. ;-)