The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 14126
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: synagogue of Satan
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:03 pm

Even better
Bitcoin is nearing an all-time high
User avatar
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:42 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by pmbug » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:03 pm
... I get a little nervous at the idea of purchasing naked gold that could get shellacked at any moment.
What do you mean by "shellacked"? I get wanting silver protected from the elements as sulphur in the air or body oils can accelerate tarnish, but gold doesn't have that problem.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:17 pm

pmbug wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:03 pm
... I get a little nervous at the idea of purchasing naked gold that could get shellacked at any moment.
What do you mean by "shellacked"? I get wanting silver protected from the elements as sulphur in the air or body oils can accelerate tarnish, but gold doesn't have that problem.
Just dropping it and having it dented or something.
"A third, a third, and a third."
User avatar
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:42 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by pmbug » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:23 am

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:11 pm

The missus and I are travelling through Europe soon. I got a couple of these babies for emergency barter, just in case.


IMG_4161.jpeg
IMG_4161.jpeg (331.3 KiB) Viewed 468 times
IMG_4162.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg (312.86 KiB) Viewed 468 times
"A third, a third, and a third."
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4379
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Xan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:53 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:11 pm
The missus and I are travelling through Europe soon. I got a couple of these babies for emergency barter, just in case.
Smithers, did you get married..?
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:27 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:53 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:11 pm
The missus and I are travelling through Europe soon. I got a couple of these babies for emergency barter, just in case.
Smithers, did you get married..?
Engaged!
"A third, a third, and a third."
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4379
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Xan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:47 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:27 pm
Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:53 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:11 pm
The missus and I are travelling through Europe soon. I got a couple of these babies for emergency barter, just in case.
Smithers, did you get married..?
Engaged!

Somehow I missed that! Congrats!
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:04 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:47 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:27 pm
Xan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:53 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:11 pm
The missus and I are travelling through Europe soon. I got a couple of these babies for emergency barter, just in case.
Smithers, did you get married..?
Engaged!

Somehow I missed that! Congrats!
Thanks, my friend!
"A third, a third, and a third."
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 14126
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: synagogue of Satan
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01 am

Below 2000. what happened? Is that just the rising yield on the 10-year note?
Meanwhile bitcoin has been rising.
Bitcoin is nearing an all-time high
snedgar
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by snedgar » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:24 pm

Congratulations, Smithers!
I'm very happy for you.
User avatar
ArthurPooh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:48 am

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ArthurPooh » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:58 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01 am
Meanwhile bitcoin has been rising.
I think it's because of ETF approval - it did offer a somewhat-safe way to buy it and some publicity has been created. Bitcoin price also often goes up after some nice round number (like recent 50k) has been achieved, as people FOMO into it and various influencers spin outlandish predictions (million dollars by 2035 2030 2028!).
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 14126
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: synagogue of Satan
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:28 am

You're probably right.
Bitcoin is nearing an all-time high
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 9343
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by vnatale » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:02 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:28 am

You're probably right.


Am not recognizing your latest Avatar. Are you matching it with your signature? Estes Kefauver?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Post Reply