Where and how do you purchase physical gold?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where and how do you purchase physical gold?

Postby sophie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:48 am

Just checked out Xan's new and improved search (thank you Xan). I was wrong - it wasn't dualstow it was barrett who came up with "fondle factor". Apologies barrett! That was a fun one.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby Desert » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Sounds like barrett! :)

Never underestimate the value of fondling gold. When you're old, hard of hearing and grouchy, yelling at the neighbor boys to stay off your lawn, you don't want to be sitting in your rocker with a godforsaken ETF. Buy real gold, for the love of all that is sacred.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby dualstow » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 pm

O0
She said it's cold, it feels like Independence Day/ and I can't break away from this parade
grapesofwrath

Postby grapesofwrath » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:43 pm

sophie wrote:Grapes, I'm very happy with the Perth Mint solution for the portion of my gold allocation that isn't in ETFs in retirement accounts or in physical gold. You hinted that you're very comfortable with unallocated as opposed to allocated...care to elaborate on that?

Hi Sophie. The Unallocated at Perth Mint is supposedly backed up by their "working inventory" of gold and the allocated is supposedly a chunk of gold on a shelf somewhere with a post-it note with your name stuck on it. I practically can't see the actual gold in either option. In both cases I would have to have faith that they will honor me down the road. So I really can't see the difference. Ultimately one has to have to have some faith, and a level of trust is required with holding any asset (stocks, bonds, real estate, treasuries...) and any institution (broker, company, town, country , treasury department, bank safety deposit, insurance company, legal protection). I realize my risk is that Perth Mint don't honor me. I find that (hopefully) small risk easier to sleep with than issues with storage, fees, purity, scams, theft, torture etc. Being a gold middle man is all Perth Mint has done for >hundred years and it operates in a country and legal system that is as solid as any other (as I mentioned I lived in Australia once for ten years). Another reason I chose the unallocated program is I have over the minimum 250k so I pay zero in purchase fees and storage which I couldn't do with ETFs and/or buying coins/bars at a gold dealer which is a bleed on such a "passive" asset. I want to own a bit of gold for diversification. Also I like that with Perth mint I automatically get some instituitional and geographic diversification. I don't buy into the "great collapse" and "zombies coming" scenarios. My biggest fear is myself.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby dualstow » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:45 pm

"a bit" !!!
She said it's cold, it feels like Independence Day/ and I can't break away from this parade
steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 am

I like to purchase from local dealer where I pay with a personal check and can walk out with gold in hand. Maybe not walk out the same day as purchase but soon after.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby ochotona » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 am

Most local dealers won't be competitive. You need to get comfortable with using insured shipping.
steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:03 pm

ochotona wrote:Most local dealers won't be competitive. You need to get comfortable with using insured shipping.

In my area I found a local dealer that is competitive, I agree not all are, I once walked out of a place when a dealer would not meet the price he quoted over the phone.

Return to “Gold”