Moderator: Global Moderator

rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post election MERKX vs SHY performance

Post by rickb » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:22 am

Can anyone explain this to me?

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf. ... x%2C%20shy

Please move the slider so the comparison is for the last week.

Wouldn't uncertainty in the US intuitively drive folks away from short term US Treasuries rather than (differentially) toward them?

I completely understand the notion that US debt is the "gold standard" and uncertainty (in general) drives people toward it, but isn't the uncertainty we're talking about here at least partly uncertainty ABOUT THE US BEING WILLING TO DEFAULT??????

[yes, yes, I know there's no rational reason the US would ever default, but there's no rational reason the US would ever elect a demagogue like Trump, either]
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Post election MERKX vs SHY performance

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:11 am

USD and yields are moving higher on expectations of economic growth under Trump. This is bad for gold and foreign currencies/debt.

I agree with you that I never expected an "alt right" demagogue to be elected, but on the other hand its not like Slick Hilly herself wasn't engaging in it. She just demogagues using "alt left" lingo which is initially less offensive to sensibilities in today's world. She lost because she is corrupt/criminal and couldn't motivate the Democrat base enough that was necessary to win. It's like a Bob Dole except he was just boring and stupid.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!