Cash in Sweden

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Cash in Sweden

Post by lordmetroid »

I found out that Öhman penningmarkandsfond placement is soley in Swedish T-bills.
T-Bills however seems to be going negative at the moment: Image
AnotherSwede

Re: Cash in Sweden

Post by AnotherSwede »

.1% fee and -.1% return.
A little courtage(?) and some interest rate change.

I have a hard time reconciling having a mortgage and at the same time investing a quarter each in negative nominal yielding cash, zero nominal yielding bonds and zero real return gold.
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

One does not chase yield with ones cash.
Cash is suppose to be available in times of dire needs that is why you invest in Treasury Bills. Even though you can get greater return from mortgage bonds or corporate bonds, when the mortgage bubble pops or recession hits and corporations goes bankrupt in droves resulting in defaults left and right. The state with its power of taxation and printing presses can always some way or the other pay up. Which means you have cash when no one else have it and the demand for cash is at its peak and people starts selling other assets such as stocks, real estate, gold or whatever they have so they can get their hands on some of that very valuable cash.

Hence why I bought this fund even though it has negative returns at the moment. Though the negative return is so minuscule I would rather call it zero return in practice.
AnotherSwede

Post by AnotherSwede »

lordmetroid wrote: One does not chase yield with ones cash.
Cash is suppose to be available in times of dire needs that is why you invest in Treasury Bills. Even though you can get greater return from mortgage bonds or corporate bonds, when the mortgage bubble pops or recession hits and corporations goes bankrupt in droves resulting in defaults left and right.
Oh, sorry for my bad americanish.

I have a mortgage on my home, roughly twice the amount of my non-retirement-account-savings. Thus currently gambling my desert portfolio will outperform the adjustable interest rate.

Having a too expensive home (ie having a mortgage) and saving in mortgage bonds in the middle of a real estate bubble seems retarded.
Did I mention I have some mortgage bonds? I'm exiting those.